Oven Omelette Recipe from the Cracked Cookbook
This omelette recipe is a easy way to feed a few people nonchalantly for Sunday brunch and feel good about it. When the omelette is cooked and ready, plonk the oven tin in the middle of the table with lots of forks and small plates and let everyone dive in.
Have lots of bread too, slathered with lashings of salty butter, and make plenty of good coffee. This is influenced by the eggah and the kuku, both of which traditionally can be cooked either in the oven or on the hob and finished under a grill.
– Butter, for greasing
– 250g cherry tomatoes on the vine
– 200g button chestnut mushrooms
– 140g diced pancetta or lardons
– 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
– 75g mangetout
– 10 medium eggs
– 3 tbsp pitted Kalamata olives
– 4 tbsp freshly grated
– Parmesan cheese, plus extra to serve
– Sea salt crystals and freshly
– Ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas mark 6. Grease an oven tin of about 19 x 22cm.
2. Strip the tomatoes from the vine and put them in the tin with the mushrooms and diced pancetta, toss with the oil and cook in the oven for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, pile a few mangetout together at a time and shred them into three lengths.
4. Blanch for 2 minutes in boiling salted water, drain and refresh under the cold tap.
5. Crack the eggs into a bowl, add salt and break up just a little with a fork so the yolks are still yellow pieces within the whites.
6. Remove the tin from the oven, pour over the eggs, scatter with the mangetout and olives, grind over some black pepper, then add the grated Parmesan in patches.
7. Return the tin to the oven for 10–12 minutes until the omelette is set and puffy at the edges.
Linda Tubby started out as a fashion designer and on her travels she found her love for food. She is now a writer, recipe developer and a food stylist. She has worked for Sainsbury’s Magazine, Waitrose Food Illustrated, Food and Travel and Bon Appetit.
Cracked contains many recipes ranging from classic to contemporary and Linda offers creative and easy ways to cook with eggs.
Cracked, Linda Tubby, Published by Kyle Books. Photography by Ali Allen