Orange and Almond Syrup Cake Recipe by Avoca
Bake an indulgent and flavourful weekend treat with AVOCA’s Orange and Almond Syrup Cake. Made with the juice of whole oranges that pair deliciously with the almond flavour, this zesty cake will bring you into the weekend in happiness.
Ingredients for Cake:
Ingredients for cake:
750g Ground Almonds
650g Caster Sugar
350 ml Olive Oil (Pomace, neutral flavour)
2.5 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
10 Free range eggs
Zest of 2 Oranges
Ingredients for Syrup:
Juice of 2 oranges
Juice of 1 lemon
200g caster sugar or honey
1 scraped vanilla pod or ½ teaspoon of extract
- In a large mixing bowl, add almonds, caster sugar, zest, and baking powder. Break eggs with a fork, add to mix and then add the olive oil slowly.
- Preheat the oven to 160C, line a 2 lb loaf tin or a similar sized baking tray with greaseproof paper and lightly paint with oil.
- Pour in almond and orange mix and bake for 30-40 mins.
- To test if the cake is cooked, stick a skewer into the centre and if it’s clean when removed, you are good to go!
- Allow to cool. While cooling, pierce the underneath with a fork – this is to allow the syrup to work its way into the centre.
- Meanwhile, add all the ingredients for the syrup into a small sauce pot and boil until a nice thin syrup achieved – remember it will be thicker when it cools.
- Allow the syrup to cool slightly. Decant the orange cake, remove grease proof paper, pierce on that side too with a fork and then slowly pour the syrup over. Allow to cool.
- Serve with orange slices and chopped pistachio. This would be delicious with a dark chocolate sauce.