Mum’s Chilli Garlic Prawns Recipe from The Doctor’s Kitchen Cookbook
This Chilli Garlic Prawns Recipe is from The Doctor’s Kitchen Cookbook by Dr Rupy Aujla. These prawns are delicious and even better they are healthy.
– 1 courgette, peeled lengthways into thin strips with a vegetable peeler
– 1 yellow pepper, halved, deseeded and cut into matchsticks
– 1 raddichio (about 75g), finely chopped
– 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
– 4 garlic cloves, very finely chopped 250g shelled raw jumbo
– Prawns, deveined
– 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
– Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
– 5-6 basil leaves, torn, to serve cooked wholegrain pasta,
– Sourdough bread or 'steam-fried
– Perfect’ potatoes (see page 101), to serve
1. Combine the prepared vegetables in a bowl.
2. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a low heat, add the garlic and fry until lightly browned, then place the prawns in the pan and season with salt and pepper- the prawns should sizzle, but the pan should not be so hot that the oil splutters.
3. Fry for 2 minutes, then turn the prawns over and add the chilli flakes to the pan and continue frying until the prawns are cooked through.
4. Transfer them to the bowl of vegetables and pour the flavoured oil from the pan over the top.
5. Garnish with the torn basil leaves and serve with wholegrain pasta, toasted sourdough bread or potatoes.
– For an extra herby flavour, add a sprig of thyme to the oil when you add the chilli flakes and take it off the heat. Allow it to infuse its flavour for a minute, then drizzle it onto the vegetables.
– Raddichio is a vibrant source of essential prebiotic fibre, but endive or simple lettuce also work well.
Dr Rupy Aujla’s first cookbook, The Doctor’s Kitchen, is the go-to book to help you kick unhealthy faddy diets for good.
In the book, Rupy, explains the principles of healthy living in a fun and relatable way with over 100 vibrant, tasty recipes steeped in medical science which are easy and inexpensive to make.
Infused with flavours from around the world, this tasty selection of everyday meals makes healthy eating an absolute pleasure.