My mum used to always make this mulled fruit trifle for special occasions when I was growing up. I loved to help her (especially when it came to clearing up the leftovers!) and it definitely helped inspire me to become a chef. At Christmas, I like to decorate the top of this trifle with pomegranate seeds to make it sparkle!
– 150ml milk
– 100ml cream
– 3 egg yolks
– A few drops of vanilla essence or a vanilla pod
– Level tablespoon cornflour
– 25g sugar
1. Place the milk and cream in a heavy-based pan. Heat gently until almost boiling.
2. While the milk is heating whisk together the egg yolks, cornflour, sugar and vanilla essence in a large heatproof bowl until thick and pale.
3. Pour the hot milk and cream mixture onto the egg mixture whisking well until smooth. Return to the pan and heat gently stirring until thickened. Leave to cool. Stir occasionally to prevent a skin forming on top.
– 150ml/¼ pint port
– 75g/3oz caster sugar
– 1 tsp ground mixed spice
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 x 500g bag frozen forest fruits
– 200g/7oz Madeira cake broken into chunks
– 500ml/½ pint whipping cream
– Chocolate curls to garnish
1. Place the port, sugar, mixed spice and vanilla extract in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for five minutes until syrupy. Stir in the frozen forest fruits.
2. Scatter the Madeira cake over the base of a 1.4 litre/2 ½ pint trifle bowl. Spoon over the forest fruits and syrup and top with custard.
3. Whip the cream to form soft peaks. Place spoonfuls of cream on top of the custard. Chill for one hour before serving.
Foodie Heaven from Neven
The MacNean Gift Card from Neven Maguire, award-winning chef of MacNean House and Restaurant in Blacklion, Co Cavan. The perfect Christmas gift for food lovers or for someone very special this Christmas, this Gift Card can be used across MacNean House & Restaurant, the Neven Maguire Cookery School, the new ‘Neven Maguire Hamper’, as well as Neven’s books and DVD collection.
A beautiful surprise for those who love great food, the Neven Maguire Hamper includes Neven’s new book ‘The Nation’s Favourite Healthy Food, MacNean Christmas Pudding, a delicious Ham Glaze, Jam, Marmalade, Fig & Cranberry Chutney, Mulled Wine Spice Mix, Coole Swan Chocolate Truffles and a flavoured Donegal Rapeseed Oil.
The MacNean Gift Card and the new ‘Neven Maguire Hamper’ are available from nevenmaguire.com or call 071-9853022.
Our recommended Wine Pairing for this Recipe
Duorum LBV Port €25.99 Now €22.99
Tinto Cão, Touriga Franca, Touriga Nacional 2010
As you would hope from the nose this port is loaded with beautiful autumnal berry fruit such as damsons and blackberries.
This is a full bodied port with rich berry fruit and a warm earthiness to it along with a lovely floral element to brighten it.
Although it is a full and round bodied port the acidity and fruit will pop and work really well with the trifle.
If possible use the same port for the recipe that you will sip with it.
Available from O’Brien’s Wines Nationwide or Online.
Since Neven took over the family business in 2001, MacNean House & Restaurant has been consistently winning awards for its food, service, wine offer and overall dining experience. In addition to his Neven Maguire Cookery School, where Neven presents a range of exciting cookery classes for all skill levels, he has also launched his exclusive ‘The Chef’s Table’ dining experience. Hosted in the beautiful and private surrounds of his cookery school, Neven and his team cook in front of diners and present the restaurant’s acclaimed Tasting Menu. Accompanying wines are presented and served by the restaurant’s sommelier. Visit nevenmaguire.com for more information.