This Muldoon pork belly recipe makes a delicious Sunday lunch or special dinner and takes little time to put together before slow roasting in the oven. Muldoon adds an extra dimension of flavour to a delicious, rich cut of pork.
– 1.3kg centre piece of pork belly (so it will cook evenly)
– 15g fennel seeds
– 5g sea salt
– 100ml olive oil
– Garlic cloves with skin on
– Fresh thyme
– 150ml Muldoon whiskey
1. Turn oven to its highest temperature. Using a knife score the skin down to the meat (try not to cut the meat), make the cuts very close together (go across the skin).
2. Put the fennel seeds and the sea salt in a pestle and mortar and grind till the seeds are smashed and mixed well with the salt.
3. Rub the pork belly with Muldoon whiskey and 1/2 the seasoning mix. Cover and allow to marinate overnight. The next day pat the skin side dry, this will help with the crackling.
4. Sprinkle over 1/2 of the fennel and salt mixture and rub in, pour over the oil and then the seed and salt mixture, now really rub this into the skin so that everything gets in-between the skin and down onto the meat.
5. Wash the carrots and celery well, cut them into large 2 inch pieces wash the thyme and put these into the base of your roasting dish with the whole garlic bulbs, peel and cut the onions into large wedges.
6. Put the seasoned pork belly on top of the vegetables and then put into your very hot oven for 10-15 minutes or until the skin of the belly starts to bubble and is golden brown. Turn the oven temperature down to 170°C/325°F/gas 3 then roast for 1.5 hours.
7. Carefully open the oven door and add into the tray the Muldoon whiskey, continue cooking for 1 hour. Remove the meat carefully from the oven and test to see if it pulls apart easily. If not put back in the oven until the meat is ready then remove from the oven.
8. Take the meat from the tray and place onto a wooden board and allow to rest.
9. Remove the crackling from the top of the belly and break up into pieces, set aside then pull the pork belly apart and enjoy with more vegetables and your choice of potatoes.
Anchor Spirits is a Waterford based drinks company which produces multi award winning Muldoon Irish Whiskey Liqueur. Launched in 2014, it’s a toffee and hazelnut flavoured whiskey which holds three awards – a Gold Medal from the 2014 Irish Whiskey Awards for best whiskey liqueur, Bronze Blas na hEireann in the Dark Spirits category in 2015 and most recently this year the internationally recognised IWSC (international wines and spirit competition) Silver Medal.
Muldoon is a very versatile liqueur which can be enjoyed on its own or used to enhance numerous dishes, as demonstrated by Chef Jenny Flynn from Faithlegg House Hotel with a collection of delicious Muldoon inspired recipes.