Milk Cereal Cupcakes Recipe By The Cupcake Bloke
The nostalgic and comforting combination of milk and cereal combined in this cupcake recipe is really quite special. The King of Cupcakes, otherwise known as The Cupcake Bloke, Graham Hertrich, has exquisitely balanced texture and flavour to bring a unique take on traditional favourite.
For the Cereal Milk
40g Breakfast Cereal of your Choice, I have used Crunchy Nut Cornflakes. Cereals which absorb a lot of milk are not suitable, for example Weetabix.
For the Cupcakes
165g Butter, softened at room temperature
165g Caster Sugar
3 Free Range Eggs, lightly beaten
165g Self Raising Flour
½ of the Cereal Milk
½ of the Softened Cereal
Additional Cereal of choice for Cupcake topping and decoration.
For the Buttercream Frosting
150g Butter, softened at room temperature
300g Icing Sugar
Remainder of Cereal Milk
Remainder of Softened Cereal
- Start off by making the Cereal Milk by simply pouring the milk over the cereal and leaving to soak for half an hour. After the half hour strain the cereal. Keep both the milk and the softened cereal.
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale. Beat in the eggs one at a time and stir in half of the softened cereal.
- Fold in the flour using a large metal spoon, adding a little of the cereal milk until the mixture has a dropping consistency.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until they are half full and top with some crushed cereal of choice.
- Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes, or until golden-brown on top and a skewer inserted into one of the cakes comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then remove and cool on a wire rack.
- For the buttercream frosting, beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Then add the remaining icing sugar, the softened cereal and one tbsp of cereal milk adding more milk if necessary, until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Spoon the icing into a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe the icing using a spiralling motion onto the cupcakes in a large swirl.
- Gently dip the cupcake into more of the cereal.
- Enjoy with a large glass of milk!