A healthy, low calorie, vegetarian and gluten free Mediterranean spinach soup that comes together in only 20 minutes. Perfect comfort food for weeknight meals.
– 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
– 1 leek, sliced
– 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
– 2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
– 500g fresh spinach leaves
– 1l vegetable stock
– 1 tsp sea salt
– 4 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Wash well all the vegetables and have the ingredients prepared as indicated in the ingredients description.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the leek and a pinch of salt and cook over a low heat for about 2 minutes. Add the carrots and the potatoes and stir well all together for about 5 minutes until just beginning to colour. Add then the spinach.
3. Pour in the vegetable stock, increase the heat to medium and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the salt.
4. Remove the saucepan from the heat and with the help of a hand mixer mix it all well until perfectly combined.
5. Serve hot and garnish each serving with Parmesan cheese.
I am Margarita Ribot, the cook, photographer and blogger behind Tasty Mediterraneo, a vegetarian food blog where I share healthy, simple and affordable recipes from the Mediterranean cuisine. I grew up in Spain enjoying the healthy Mediterranean diet and lifestyle and I am passionate about healthy eating and cooking Mediterranean recipes.
With the hectic lives that we lead in today’s society, many people are far from having healthy eating and lifestyle habits. I believe that a balanced diet such as the Mediterranean diet is key to live healthy longer and to put you at a lower risk for chronic diseases.
With the hope of encouraging many of you to preparing healthy recipes at home I leave you with one of my favourite quotes:
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food” – Hippocrates.