Asian Lettuce Wraps Recipe by My Nutrition Ireland
If you want clean eating, power and fuel, these delicious healthy lettuce wraps are for you. Turkey is packed full of nutrients (zinc, potassium, phosphorous), lean protein and vitamins such as B6 and Niacin – both essential for energy production.
The ingredients and flavourings have all been carefully selected for both their taste and health properties. Ginger is not only a powerful anti-inflammatory but also prevents cancer and helps cleanse the gut, so you can absorb essential nutrients. Chillies, meanwhile, are packed with capsaicin – a powerful metabolism booster which helps weight loss and reduces cholesterol levels.
Ingredients (6-8 Portions)
– 1 lb mince (pork/turkey/chicken/soy) 1 onion (finely chopped)
– 1 tbsp grated ginger
– 1-2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
– 1 lime
– 2 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce 1 tbsp rice wine (optional)
– Sea salt & pepper
– 1 tbsp fish sauce (optional)
– 8 lettuce leaves
– 2 tbsp chilli sauce
– 2 tbsp soy sauce
– 2 tbsp rice vinegar/lime/lemon 2 tbsp sesame oil
– 1 tbsp honey
1. On a wok or hot pan stir fry (dry/steam fry) the mince until golden brown together with onions for 8-10 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients – ginger, garlic, soy sauce, rice wine, fish sauce and salt and pepper – and cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes, until all liquid evaporates. Set aside and serve with lime wedges (optional).
2. Mix all the dressing ingredients and serve at the table.
3. Serve mince in clean lettuce wrap leaves, garnish with fresh coriander, scallions, roasted peanuts, red chillies (optional), fresh cucumber (optional). Enjoy straight away or prepare beforehand and heat the mince before serving.
• This is a versatile recipe which can be turned into a vegan dish by simply replacing the meat with, soya mince, tofu, etc.
• Add dry roasted almonds, peanuts and sesame seeds for extra crunch and flavour.
• Romaine lettuce contains 10 times as much vitamin A as iceberg lettuce.
My Nutrition Ireland is a Nutritional & Health Consultancy which was set up by Thomas Coleman and his wife Jeeny in 2013. They understand the importanance of Health and how it impacts on people, their well-being and performance both in the workplace, at home and in Sports Performance. It’s a marriage made in Heaven many would say. Jeeny Maltese is a romantic, energetic girl from Venezuela and has a passion for Food, Health & Beauty without sacrificing taste; an extremely talented cook described as a “Latin Nigella Lawson” by many. Tom Coleman – her husband is a Nutritionist with a background in Science and Health Promotion, with a life time passion in Health, Sports & Science. Together they have combined their passion into a great exciting business.