Watch the third recipe in this collection with Derry Clarke, Samsung Home Appliances Brand Ambassador.
In this video Derry shows us how to master the meringue and as usual, it requires an obsessive attention to detail!
Lemon Curd, Meringue, Raspberries
– 3 eggs
– 150g white sugar
– juice of 3 lemons (keep the rind)
– 100g butter
– 1 tbsps zest
1. Whisk eggs, sugar and lemon juice over a bain marie until mixture becomes thick (71 degrees Celsius).
2. Remove from heat and pass through a fine sieve.
3. Whisk in the butter bit by bit, add the zest, cool, cover.
– 4 egg whites
– 220g caster sugar
1. Place egg whites at room temperature into a clean dry mixing bowl, whisk until you have soft peaks.
2. Add sugar slowly, whisk to stiff peaks and place in piping bag.
3. Spoon some of the lemon curd into glasses. Decorate with the meringue, add some raspberries.
4. Brown meringue with a blow torch.
Derry and Sallyanne Clarke married in 1987 and opened l’Ecrivain Restaurant in July 1989. They have had several transformations and now l’Ecrivain stands on the site of two old Georgian Coach Houses/Mews in its own charming courtyard. Over 26 years on, l’Ecrivain is going from strength to strength.