Lamb Tagine Recipe with Pumpkin and Apricot by Darina Coffey, as Seen on RTE Today Show
This lamb tagine recipe is the perfect one pot wonder, warming, hearty and deliciously low maintenance – a few simple steps and a low and slow spell on the stove top and you’ll have yourself a seriously comforting dinner, perfect for those colder months.
For the tagine
– Rapeseed oil for the pan
– 2 onions, diced
– 3 garlic cloves, crushed
– 1 tbsp ground ginger
– 1 tsp ground cinnamon
– 1 cinnamon stick
– 1/4 tsp ground cloves
– 1 tbsp ground cumin
– 1 tbsp paprika (not smoked)
– 1 tbsp ground turmeric
– 1kg lamb shoulder
– 500g pumpkin or butternut squash, chopped into cubes
– 2 400g tins chopped tomatoes
– 250g dried apricots
– 500ml lamb stock
– 1 tbsp honey
– 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
– 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
– Large bunch fresh coriander
– 100g shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
– Seeds of 1 pomegranate
– 4 flatbreads
– natural yoghurt
1. To a pan on a high heat, add onions and diced lamb and seal on all sides for 1-2 minutes.
2. Add garlic, pumpkin, apricots and spices, stir to caot and cook for two minutes.
3. Add honey, vinegar, cinnamon stick, chickpeas and chopped tomatoes, then top up with lamb stock to cover.
4. Bring to a simmer, then reduce to a low heat and cook for 3 hours, stirring at regular intervals to prevent sticking.
5. After three hours, the sauce will have reduced and thickened and the lamb will be meltingly tender.
6. Serve topped with plenty of chopped pistachios, coriander and pomegranate jewels and a side of flatbread. This is also gorgeous with couscous, rice or even cauliflower rice!
Growing up with the name Darina, I was constantly asked if I could cook like my namesake. I am the only person to have contested both Masterchef and the Great Irish Bake Off and am passionate about discovering and creating delicious things – I can sometimes be caught in the act on TV3’s Six O’Clock Show. Working with TheTaste allows me to satisfy this craving and marries my food fascination with my love of writing and ranting.