Lamb and Penne Gratin with Courgettes and Two Cheeses Recipe from #TastyEasyLamb
This lamb and penne recipe is a simple dish to utilise the leftovers of a Sunday roast and is a balanced, tasty and quick recipe, ideal for busy midweek cookery. If you don’t have leftover roast lamb, minced lamb is perfect here too and just as easy!
The recipe is part of the ‘Lamb – Tasty, Easy, Fun Campaign’, launched in association with Bord Bia with co-funding from the EU. Visit www.tastyeasylamb.ie for more ideas and all things lamb.
– 350g leftover cooked leg of lamb
– 350g penne
– 100ml milk
– 300ml béchamel sauce*
– 2 courgettes
– 3 tbsp olive oil
– Salt and pepper
– 1 level tbsp chopped dried oregano
– 150g grated mozarella
– 50g freshly grated mature hard cheese
1. Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 6, 200°C, 400°F.
2. Cook the penne in salted boiling water, making sure to keep it al dente. Drain and return it to the saucepan, off the hob. Add the milk and ⅓ of the béchamel sauce and mix.
3. Meanwhile, chop the courgettes into small pieces. Cook on a high heat for 5 minutes in a large frying pan with 2 tbsp oil, stirring regularly. Season and put in a colander then leave to drain.
4. Chop the meat into small cubes then brown in the frying pan with 1 tbsp oil. Sprinkle with the oregano and take off the heat when it is thoroughly browned. Add the courgettes and season to taste.
5. Spread half the penne in an oven dish. Cover with the courgette and meat mixture, then the mozzarella. Spread out the rest of the penne on top, cover with the rest of the béchamel sauce and sprinkle the hard cheese over the top.
6. Cook in the oven for 10 minutes until golden. Serve hot accompanied by a salad.
– You can also use minced lamb for this recipe. Brown it in the frying pan in the same way as the left-over lamb.
* For the béchamel: Melt 20g butter in a frying pan, sprinkle over 20g flour, mix for 30 seconds then gradually add 300ml milk, whisking as you go. Season with salt, pepper and add a pinch of nutmeg. Bring slowly to the boil and leave to thicken a little on a gentle heat for 2 minutes.
This recipe was created for the ‘Lamb – Tasty, Easy, Fun Campaign’, a new campaign launched in association with Bord Bia with co-funding from the EU. Visit www.tastyeasylamb.ie a tasty and fun destination for all things lamb.