Classic Kedgeree Recipe by Chef Simon Hudson from Pallas Foods
This recipe for classic kedgeree was created by recipe development chef Simon Hudson from Pallas Foods. This recipe makes four portions.
– 200g butter
– 4 eggs (free range if possible)
– 400g basmati rice rinsed
– 2 large onion chopped finely
– 1 red pepper finely diced
– 500 ml cold water
– ½ teaspoon turmeric
– 6 cardamom pods crushed
– 6 cloves
– 15g mild curry powder (stronger if desired)
– 500 ml milk
– 400 g smoked haddock
– 4 scallions thinly sliced
– 4 gr chopped coriander
– 200 ml homemade curry sauce
– 1 punnet micro coriander
– Mango chutney and yoghurt (optional)
1. Melt 100 gr of butter in a pan over a low heat, add in the onions, sweat off slowly until soft and just before colouring.
2. Boil the eggs for 10 minutes, drain, peel, and put aside.
3. Put the rice in a saucepan with the water, 3 cardamoms, 3 cloves, turmeric and a touch of salt. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 5 minutes, remove from the heat and leave to absorb the cooking liquid.
4. Add the remaining cardamoms and cloves, along with the red pepper to the onion along with the curry powder and cook out until starting to get a nice colour.
5. In a separate pan add the milk and the smoked haddock and bring to the boil, turn down to a simmer and cook the fish.
6. Drain off the milk and flake the fish into nice large pieces (tip- you can keep the milk and make a nice light flavoured béchamel).
7. Heat the remaining butter in a large non-stick frying pan and when starting to brown add in the rice, the onion mix and combine, fold in the flaked haddock, scallions and coriander, check seasoning.
8. Serve immediately with the hot halved boiled eggs and a drizzle of curry sauce reserving some in a small sauce boat.
9. Alternatively, build the kedgeree into a bowl and turn out as per photo.
10. A nice garnish would be some micro leaf coriander and a ramekin of both yoghurt and mango chutney.
#pallasfoodsThis recipe was brought to you by Pallas Foods recipe development chef Colin Greensmith. Pallas Foods is one of Ireland’s leading food distributors serving over 9,000 customers.
They have a portfolio of over 14,500 products and offer fresh, frozen, ambient and non-food products, in addition to an extensive wine list from their Private Vines Collection.
For more information log onto www.pallasfoods.com