I love to have these Jack Frost muffins on Christmas Eve morning – I feel Christmas has arrived properly then. I mix all the dry ingredients the night before and have my other ingredients ready in the fridge. It just takes three minutes in the morning to put it all together. Make sure to play some Christmas music for yourself while you enjoy these treats!
– 200g (8oz) Denise’s Delicious flour blend
– 1/2 teaspoon Gluten Free baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon bread soda
– 1 teaspoon mixed spice
– 75g (3oz) demerara sugar
– 90ml (3floz) orange juice
– 60ml (2floz) milk
– 1 medium egg
– 50g (2oz) butter/margarine, melted
– 125g (5oz) dried cranberries
For the topping
– 2 teaspoons demerara sugar
– 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5/190°C/375°F. Line a twelve-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
2. In a large bowl, sieve the flour, baking powder, bread soda and spice together. Add the sugar and mix together.
3. In another bowl, pour in the orange juice, add the milk and egg, and beat until combined. Don’t worry if it curdles a bit. Add the melted margarine and beat again.
4. Remembering that a lumpy batter makes light muffins, start mixing very lightly by hand, adding the wet ingredients to the dry. Do not beat or the muffins will be leathery and small. Gently add the cranberries and stir in lightly.
5. Spoon into the muffin cases.
6. For the topping, mix the sugar and mixed spice and sprinkle on top before placing in the centre of the oven.
7. Bake for 15–20 minutes until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out dry.
8. Remove from the oven and remove from the baking tin after 2–3 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack. When completely cool, store in an airtight container.
9. Before serving dust with icing sugar.
Delicious’ Gluten-Free Christmas Treats
For those who eat ‘gluten-free’ or ‘free-from’ Denise’s Delicious Gluten-Free Bakery in Cork has the perfect gifts! Customise your own or choose from one of Denise’s ‘Delicious’ Gift Hampers. The ‘Christmas Indulgence’ version includes mince pies, Christmas pudding and cake, a chocolate fudge cake, a ‘Delicious’ and Coffee Gateau, a family Brownie pack and a copy of bakery founder, Denise O’ Callaghan’s new book called ‘Delicious: Recipes from my Gluten-Free Kitchen’. See www.delicious.ie
Denise’s Delicious Gluten Free Bakery is one of Ireland’s longest established specialist bakeries. We specialise in baking gluten, wheat and dairy free cakes, breads and snacks and these are handmade at our bakery each day. We are fully approved by the Irish Coeliac Society and enjoy a great relationship with all of our coeliacs friends, readers and newly diagnosed customers.
We believe that being on a restricted diet should not mean a restricted food experience and our award winning range has proven to be a huge success with coeliacs and those following a gluten free diet! For more information or to order online visit www.delicious.ie.