This irresistible ramen recipe is a true soul food for cosy autumn evenings.
This homemade miso chicken ramen is served with soba noodles, shiitake mushrooms, edamame, pak-choi, pickled carrots and baked crispy enoki-mushrooms.
- 10-20 g Kombu/Kelp 10x10cm leaf Kombu/Kelp
- 4 tbls Bonito flakes you can add much more, up to 2 cups. Its s specific taste so start with little portions.
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic
- Black pepper to taste
- 20 g Shiitake mushrooms fresh or dried. If you use dried soak them for at least couple of hours before adding to the broth.
- 150 g Enoki mushrooms 150g Enoki mushrooms
- ½ cup edamame beans peeled
- 2 lime Juice Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tbsp white miso
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil toasted sesame oil
- Soba noodles
- boiled egg Soft boiled egg
- 1 tsp Ginger minced
- 1 tsp Turmeric minced
- 1 tsp Galangal minced
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Scallions
- Nigella seeds
- Clean kombu with a damp cloth/kitchen towel, but make sure you keep white powder – this is your ‘umami. Make small cuts on both sides of kombu.
- Soak kombu in water for 1hr, then heat over medium heat. As soon as water starts boiling, remove kombu.
- Add bonito flakes, simmer for couple minutes then turn off the heat and leave for another 5 minutes.
- Strain the broth through sieve. Use kitchen towel if you want to make it very clear.
- You can keep dashi for about 3 days in the fridge or freeze it for up to 3 months.
Miso Chicken Broth
- Heat 2tbsp of sesame oil in the pot
- Add ginger, garlic, galangal – stir on a medium heat until light golden. Add turmeric, black pepper. (Add ginger, turmeric and galangal to taste. These are optional and have distinctive taste – so add as you feel fit. However they do add a nice Asian heat to the broth.)
- Add shiitake mushrooms, dashi and chicken stock, bring to boil.
- Add miso, soy sauce (taste the saltiness – check if you need more/less soy sauce). Squeeze juice of 1 lime. Leave on a low heat for 20mins.
Baked Enoki mushrooms
- Chop the roots off. Separate mushrooms.
- Add a little sesame oil, soy sauce
- Bake in the oven at 200C for 15-20mins, mixing from time to time until golden.
Asian pickled carrots (optional)
- Peel 1 carrot into long slices.
- Separately mix ½tsp sugar, salt (to taste), 1tsp lime juice, rice vinegar, roasted sesame oil, 1 tsp soy sauce.
- Mix in carrots, leave for 10-15mins.
- Add fresh/oven roasted pak-choi, cooked soba noodles, Asian pickled carrots (optional), edamame.
- Pour chicken miso broth with shiitake over the vegetables and noodles.
- Add baked enoki mushrooms.
- Garnish with soft boiled egg, chopped scallions, and sprinkle of nigella seeds. You can make your ramen creamier by adding 1-2 tbsp of tahini paste.
With background in clinical nutrition and pharmaceutical sciences Jelena is a self-proclaimed foodie. She combines love and passion for cooking with unique skill of being able to create dishes that taste great and are of a high nutritional value, making sure you eat the best when you do.
Her kitchen is the food lab full of soul and passion where she happily spends hours experimenting. Her recipe collection is like a treasure chest that has something for each and every one.