Just as I start getting in to my smoothie groove I get hit with a sudden longing for something a little more comforting. Bring on the oat breakfast bowl experimenting!
This is my best version yet. It’s got no hidden veggies, it’s low carb, fruit free and super thick and creamy. The hemp seeds provide a plenty of protein just on their own, further bolstered by an egg and a small scoop of whey protein concentrate.
This Hemp Seed Protein Porridge Recipe totally hit the spot; incredibly satisfying, super creamy with just a hint of bite having stirred through some whole hemp seeds and coarse roast cashew nuts at the end. A mighty bowl of goodness just waiting to be topped with more loveliness. The joys of a breakfast bowl really only come to fruition when you play around with toppings; texture, colour and added deliciousness!
I love the earthiness of hemp seeds and quite frankly they are one of my favourite ‘superfoods’ to add to cookies, salads, and, now, porridge! I had no idea how incredibly well they would cook up in some almond milk. If you do choose to sweeten the porridge with honey, be sure to check out Meridian’s new squeezy bottles. I hate nothing more than when my honey ends up all over the base of a jar leaving a sticky residue on whichever shelf it settles.
Irish strawberries are just coming in to season, so they will be my new salad, smoothie and all things in need of bright and beautiful fruit topping, of choice!
Serves 1 -2
– 1/4 cup (30g) ground hemp seeds
– 2 tbsp (15g) ground flaxseed
– 1 large organic egg whisked
– 1 cup (250ml) unsweetened almond milk
– 1/2 tsp vanilla powder or pure vanilla extract
– 10 drops liquid stevia or 1 tbsp organic honey
– 2 heaped tbsp (20g) whey protein concentrate
– 2 tbsp ground nuts or whole hemp seeds to stir through for texture
– Hemp seeds, cacao nibs, strawberries, goji berries, coconut flakes, cashew butter etc.
1. Grind hemp seeds to a coarse meal in a high speed blender.
2. If you don’t have a high speed blender you can use whole hemp seeds. The texutre will be just a little looser but it still works well!
3. Add all ingredients with the exception of the egg and whole seeds or ground nuts to a pot, gently bring to boiling point and simmer for about 5 minutes to thicken. Add whisked egg and stir over a low heat to cook through for 3 minutes. Keep stirring so the egg doesn’t scramble on you!
4. Finally stir through your ground nuts of whole hemp seeds. I used more hemp seeds but coarsely ground cashews or almonds work well too!
5. Sweeten to your own taste; I like the earthiness of the hemp seeds themselves!
6. Serve immediately topped with toppings of choice!
I’m Shel but some people call me “Peachy”…I’m the food loving, fitness fanatic, blogger behind Peachy Palate, a website which is now my hub for all the paleo, keto and grain free recipes I create, hoping to inspire people to think outside the box, eating whole foods that truly nourish. Fueled by a desire to improve my own health I love to create sweet and savoury recipes, sharing them with the world ensuring no one need feel deprived regardless of their dietary restrictions or preferences. Living in Wicklow, Ireland, when not dreaming up recipes I’m lifting with the men folk in my local gym, tapped into social media or out on the road delivering, merchandising and being a super duper brand ambassador for a local health food company.
My relationship with food wasn’t always so bright, in fact it wasn’t at all harmonious for quite sometime. Having overcome a decade of eating disorders I’m in the best place I’ve ever been. I’m happy, healthy, confident and I now enjoy every nourishing mouthful, giving my body what it needs. One of my favourite quotes from a sensational foodie … “Nothing is too much trouble if it turns out the way it should.” Julia Child. Life, love and food! www.peachypalate.com