Healthy Shakshuka Baked Eggs Recipe from The Flourishing Pantry
A Middle Eastern baked eggs recipe that has fast become one of my breakfast staples, perfect for impressing guests with something a bit different to a full Irish in the morning!
The more you look for recipes for shakshuka the more you realise there are endless ways to make it including ingredients like kale, cavolo nero, spinach, mint and peas. This is a more traditional recipe, but without any sugar for a healthier take.
– olive oil
– 1 onion, finely sliced
– 1 red pepper, diced
– 4 garlic cloves, crushed
– 2 tsp paprika
– 1 tsp cumin seeds
– 1 tsp cayenne pepper
– 2 tsp harissa paste (optional)
– 400g canned tomatoes
– 1 tbsp lemon juice
– 3-4 eggs
– Small bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped (optional for garnish)
1. Heat the oil in a large lidded frying pan over a medium heat and add the onion. Cook until softened, then add the peppers.
2. Fry until both peppers and onions are soft then stir in the garlic, harissa paste and spices and cook for another couple of minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, lemon juice and 250ml water and bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Taste and season (you can always give it more kick with more cayenne).
4. Make 3-4 holes in the sauce and break in the eggs. Season them lightly, turn the heat right down as low as possible, cover and cook for about 10 minutes until they’re just set.
5. If serving with toast place this on the plate first and then spoon over the shakshuka and an egg per serving. Top with coriander and dish up.
Vicky is the writer behind The Flourishing Pantry, a blog and recipe collection for people in search of a healthier way to nourish themselves. In an online world that has become increasingly shouty about what to eat, Vicky searches for the answers to great gut health, whilst developing healthy and nutritious meals inspired by her discoveries online.
She’s not an expert – she’s just like you, trying to make sense of it all and eat well for life. The Flourishing Pantry has been nominated in the Free From category of the Health Bloggers Award 2017.