Healthy Buckwheat Waffles Recipe From The Happy Pear
This is a great recipe that works perfectly for pancakes too. Dave uses this buckwheat waffles recipe most weekends and the same batter works great for both. To make waffles, you will need a waffle iron or waffle maker, but don’t let that put you off – we got ours for €20 online and it’s a great toy!
We like to serve our waffles/pancakes with coconut yoghurt, homemade chocolate spread and berries, with a drizzle of maple syrup – just delish!
– 250g buckwheat flour/other flour of choice
– 2 tsp baking powder (1 1⁄2 tsp if using white flour)
– 1 tsp sea salt
– 3 tbsp maple syrup
– 1⁄2 a banana or 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
– 3 tbsp almond butter
– 400ml rice milk
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. The first step, turn on the waffle iron.
2. To make the batter, whiz all the ingredients together in a blender until smooth.
3. Once the waffle iron is hot, spray it with vegetable oil to prevent the waffles from sticking. Pour in the batter, ensuring that you have added enough to cover the full iron, and leaving a bit of room for the waffles to rise slightly.
3. Cook in the waffle iron until they turn nice and brown.
4. Remove and add toppings of your choice (see intro, and see the photo for other serving ideas).
David and Stephen Flynn’s first cookbook, The Happy Pear, was a Number One bestseller and has sold over 100,000 copies. Their next book, The World of the Happy Pear, has also been a Number One bestseller and has sold over 50,000 copies since its June 2016 publication. The two books have revolutionized the interest in vegetarian food in Ireland and further afield. David and Stephen live in Greystones, County Wicklow, where they run the iconic Happy Pear café and Happy Pear food business. Their latest book, Recipes for Happiness, is packed with quick and easy veggie options, clever meat-free versions of popular favourites and inspiring advice on how to be healthier.