Handmade Marshmallow Recipe from CakeFace Patisserie
Our handmade marshmallow recipe brings out the big kid in the most grown up adults. Although there are only four ingredients they take practice to get the right texture. Let’s face it though, even the wrong texture will make for go eating! The one essential is a good thermometer and the accuracy of the temperature is what affects the texture.
– Eggs white 1 (30g)
– Sugar 250g
– Water 100g
– Gelatin (gold leaf) 6 sheets
– Optional: raspberry jam, Nutella, and peanut butter.
1. Place the whites in the bowl of your mixer, making sure it is clean and dry.
2. Combine the sugar and water in a small pan stir it before it goes on the heat and wipe the sides.
3. Soak the gelatin in a bowl of cold water.
4. Start by whisking your whites by hand to get some volume, as it is a small quantity of whites and the whisk may not catch the whites until they are a little fluffy.
5. Bring the sugar syrup to 110 degrees. If you are making a batch of plain marshmallow then this temperature is correct.
6. If adding a flavour such as nutella or peanut butter bring syrup to 114 degrees.
7. Carefully pour the sugar syrup over the whites and continue whipping until thick and fluffy and doesn’t drip off your whisk.
8. Stir in your chosen flavouring, as much or as little as you like.
9. Pipe into shapes as desired or spread in a container to cut.
10. Coat with a 50/50 mixture of icing sugar and corn flour.
Cakeface is the brainchild of pastry chef duo Laura & Rory Gannon. Returning home after years working with some of the best pastry teams in France and London, Cakeface was born. Their aim was to create unique, quirky and unusual cakes pastries and desserts. CakeFace specialise in the unexpected and delicious, their range of desserts is designed to wow and surprise. www.cakefacepastry.com