Grilled Courgette, Artichoke & Lentil Salad By Frances Walsh
This grilled courgette and artichoke lentil salad from the Honest Project is the perfect way to make summer vegetables the main event for lunch or dinner.
– 2 courgettes, ends trimmed, cut into long thin strips
– 200g artichokes hearts in olive oil, drained
– ½ cup green lentils, rinsed
– 1 cup vegetables stock
– 2 large handfuls rocket leaves, washed and dried
– Zest of a lime
– 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
– Pinch of sea salt
For the dressing
– 1 tbsp milled hemp seeds
– 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
– 4 tbsp water
– ½ red chilli
– Zest of a lime
– Juice of 2 limes
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– ½ red chilli, finely chopped
– Handful of coriander, chopped
1. Put the lentils and vegetable stock in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes until the water has evaporated and the lentils are tender. Once cooked, drain fully and set to one side.
2. Toss the courgettes in a bowl with a tablespoon of olive oil, lime zest and sea salt. Heat a griddle pan until very hot. Grill the courgettes in batches, about five minutes per side. Don’t overcrowd the pan. Drain on kitchen paper as you finish cooking each batch and set to one side.
3. Next, grill the artichokes on the griddle pan, about five minutes each side. Drain on kitchen paper and set to one side.
4. Prepare the dressing by putting all the ingredients in a mini food processor or blender. Blend well. If you don’t have a blender or food processor, chop the red chilli very finely and add it and the other ingredients to a bowl and whisk well.
5. Add half the dressing to the lentils and stir well to ensure the lentils are coated with the dressing.
6. Assemble the salad by placing the rocket leaves in the base of your serving dish. Spoon the lentils over the rocket leaves. Place the grilled courgette and artichoke on top. Top the salad with a sprinkling of chopped red chilli and coriander leaves. Serve the remaining dressing in a bowl on the side.
Frances Walsh is the creator and writer behind healthy lifestyle blog The Honest Project. The Honest Project focuses on plant based eating and cooking, using vegetables, fruits and wholefoods. Frances’ interest is in preparing and eating foods that are made from scratch but are practical and easy to make for even the most inexperienced cook. For more information visit thehonestproject.com.