Grilled Chicken Salad Recipe with Feta, Mint & Toasted Pita from California Wines
Char-grilled chicken tops a Greek-style salad recipe tossed with crispy pita chips and a bright lemon vinaigrette, creating a light and healthy salad you’ll be happy to call a meal. Pair with California Chardonnay or Sparkling Wine.
– 120ml extra-virgin olive oil
– 80ml fresh lemon juice
– 1 garlic clove, minced
– 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) salt
– 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) finely grated lemon zest
– 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) ground cumin
– 1/4 tsp (1.25ml) freshly ground black pepper
– 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, each about 170g
– 2 pita breads, each about 6-inches (15cm)
– 1 medium head romaine lettuce, leaves torn into bite-size pieces
– 115g crumbled feta cheese, plus extra for garnish
– 240ml cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
– 1/2 English cucumber, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise
– 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced, about 120ml
– 12 to 16 pitted black California olives
– 2 tbsp (30ml) chopped fresh mint leaves, plus extra for garnish
1. Whisk the vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside half of the vinaigrette for the salad.
2. Cut the chicken cross-wise into 1/2-inch (1.25cm) strips. Place the chicken in a bowl with the remaining vinaigrette and stir to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
3. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (about 350°F/180°C). Remove the chicken strips from the marinade and discard the marinade.
4. Arrange the chicken on the grill, perpendicular to the grill grates (or grill on a preheated griddle).
5. Close the lid and grill until thoroughly cooked and lightly charred, turning as needed, 6 to 8 minutes.
6. While the chicken is grilling, place the pita bread over indirect medium heat and grill until golden brown and crisp, about 4 minutes, turning once or twice.
7. Remove the chicken and pita from the grill, let the chicken rest on a cutting board, and break the pita into bite-size shards.
8. Combine the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Add the pitas and half of the reserved vinaigrette and toss to coat.
9. Divide the salad between serving plates. Arrange the chicken slices in the centers of the salads.
10. Drizzle with some of the remaining dressing and garnish with additional crumbled feta and the mint. Serve immediately.
California’s beauty, diverse landscape and ideal year-round climate are as good for our wines as they are for our visitors. With dozens of distinct regions, more than 100 winegrape varieties and winemakers who are as passionate about their art as they are about sustainable practices, California has the perfect glass for every taste.