These are wonderful pancakes for weekend mornings. It is worth investing in a heavy griddle pan for the best result. The batter can be made the night before and stored in the fridge, then used the following morning.
Makes 3-4 pancakes
– 150g (6oz) Denise’s Delicious flour blend (available from delicious.ie or see below)
– 1 tbsp gluten-free baking powder
– 1 tsp salt
– 3 tbsp caster sugar
– 2 large eggs
– 390ml (13floz) buttermilk
– I tsp vanilla extract
– Butter/margarine to grease the pan
– 175g (7oz) blueberries
– Maple syrup
1. Preheat the griddle pan (or heavy-based frying pan) for 1-2 minutes over a medium heat.
2. Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt into a medium-sized bowl and stir in the sugar.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk, then add the buttermilk and vanilla extract and whisk until fully combined.
4. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the egg mixture. Using a whisk, beat well.
5. Melt the butter/margarine in the preheated pan and pour some batter into the centre of the pan. Tilt the pan to spread the batter until the pancake is approximately 10-12cm/4-4½” in diameter.
6. When the batter has set, flip the pancake using a palette knife or fish slice, and brown on the other side. Repeat until all the pancakes are cooked.
7. Serve warm with fresh blueberries and maple syrup.
Denise’s Delicious Flour Blend
This is a great, all-round white flour. If you are avoiding corn, then use tapioca flour instead. There are lots of decent white gluten-free/wheat-free flours on the market, but all perform differently.
Makes approximately 850g (2lb) flour blend
– 250g (1oz) rice flour
– 25g (1oz) tapioca flour
– 275g (11oz) potato flour
– 275g (11oz) corn flour
– 13g (½oz) teff flour
– 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
– 1 tsp guar gum
Sieve all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
Denise’s Delicious Gluten Free Bakery is one of Ireland’s longest established specialist bakeries. The bakery specialises in baking gluten, wheat and dairy free cakes, breads and snacks and these are handmade at our bakery each day. They are fully approved by the Irish Coeliac Society and enjoy a great relationship with all of our coeliacs friends, readers and newly diagnosed customers.
Recipes by Denise O’ Callaghan are from her book ‘Recipes from my Gluten-Free Kitchen‘. Denise’s Delicious Gluten-Free Bakery product ranges are available in Ireland from the major supermarkets to artisan food stores. For more information or to order online visit www.delicious.ie.