Gluten-Free Bread Rolls Recipe by Chef Gearóid Lynch
This bread rolls recipe from Gearóid Lynch is gluten-free and they are suitable for serving at any time of the day, making a wonderful centrepiece on the table.
– 500g gluten-free white bread flour blend, plus extra for dusting
– 60g butter, softened
– 1 tsp xanthan gum
– 1 tsp salt
– 20g fresh yeast or 1½ tsp fast action dried yeast
– 1 tbsp caster sugar
– 1 egg
– 200ml lukewarm water
– 1 dessertspoon milk
– selection of seeds, such as linseeds, sesame (white and black), poppy, sunflower and pumpkin
For the egg wash
– 1 egg yolk
– 1 dessertspoon milk
1. Place the flour, butter, xanthan gum and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer. If using dried yeast, add it at this point too. Use the dough hook attachment to combine all the ingredients.
2. Combine the sugar, egg, water, milk and fresh yeast (if using) in a large jug and mix well. Add to the dry ingredients and mix with the dough hook for 8–10 minutes.
3. Leave the dough in the bowl, cover it with cling film and put in a warm place for at least 1 hour. It will increase in size.
4. Dust the worktop with some flour and transfer the dough onto the worktop. Cut into 8–10 equal portions and shape into rounds. If the dough is too sticky when you are forming the rolls, rub some olive oil on your hands. This will prevent the dough from sticking to your hands.
5. Place the rolls in a 22cm round tin. Mix the egg yolk and milk together and brush the tops of the rolls with the egg wash.
6. Sprinkle with the seeds and leave in a warm place to prove for 40 minutes, uncovered. The dough will rise again.
7. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C. Bake the rolls for 20 minutes, until crusty on top. Turn the rolls over
in the tin to allow the base to get crusty too.
8. To check that the rolls are done, turn them over and tap the base. If you hear a light, hollow sound, the rolls are ready for serving.
As well as tempting breakfasts, lunches, dinners and desserts, there’s a section on store-cupboard staples and basics, including gluten-free bread, pizza and pasta. With a few small adjustments, those with coeliac disease will no longer miss out on their favourite meals.
My Gluten-Free Kitchen is available to buy on www.GillBooks.ie (€24.99)