Gluten Free Almond And Apple Cake Recipe by Chef Eimear Ní Chéilleachair at Brown Thomas Cork
This gluten free almond and apple cake was created by Eimear Ní Chéilleachair, head chef at Table Restaurant in Brown Thomas Cork. It’s the perfect afternoon or post-dinner sweet treat.
– 265g caster sugar
– 265g butter
– 5 eggs, separated
– 290g ground almonds
– 1.5 tsp. of baking powder
– 4 eating apples, peeled, cored and finely sliced
– 25g flaked almonds
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius.
2. Oil & line a 12 inch springform tin.
3. Whisk the sugar & caster sugar with your KitchenAid until light & fluffy & pale in colour.
4. Slowly add the egg yolks individually.
5. When the yolks are completely incorporated, add the ground almonds & baking powder.
6. Mix thoroughly & then add the sliced apples, mixing thoroughly again.
7. Reserve the mix in a separate bowl.
8. In the clean KitchenAid bowl whisk the egg whites until you get stiff peaks. Fold the whites into the almond & apple mix gently as not to knock out all of the air from the whites.
9. Spoon the mix into the springform tin, gently smooth out the mixture in the tin and then scatter the flaked almonds on top.
10. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 40-45 minutes or until your knife comes out clean.
11. Serve with chantilly cream & a light dusting of icing sugar. Enjoy.
Eimear Ni Cheilleachair is the Head Chef at Table Restaurant in Brown Thomas Cork. She has been in this role since November 2017.
She describes the food in Table Restaurant as “modern, non-fussy, fresh and deliciously tasty” and has previously worked in Cork’s Crawford Art Gallery and Star Anise, following time working and travelling around the world.