Full-On Fig, Cranberry and Oat Bran Muffins Recipe by Oliver McCabe
These muffins are loaded with figs. Figs are an excellent source of fibre and are extremely alkaline, which makes them such an important ‘big hug’ food after an illness or if you are just out of hospital. High in dietary fibre, protein and essential fats.
– 150g oat bran
– 30g bran flakes
– 120ml apple juice
– 150g dried figs, finely chopped
– 100g dried cranberries
– 1 large banana, mashed
– 1 egg, beaten
– 230ml apple juice concentrate
– 120ml milk
– 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
– 2 tablespoons honey
– 180g wholewheat spelt flour
– 90g rolled oats
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1½ teaspoons baking soda
– 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4/350°F. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
2. Combine the oat bran and bran flakes in a large bowl with the apple juice, making sure to moisten the flakes evenly.
3. Add the figs, cranberries, mashed banana, beaten egg, apple juice concentrate, milk, olive oil and honey, and mix well.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Add to the bran mixture and mix well.
5. Spoon the batter into the muffin cases. Bake for 20– 25 minutes, until risen. Cool the muffins on a wire rack.
The ‘Fuel Food Cookbook’ is more than just a collection of recipes. Author, nutritionist and chef Oliver McCabe sets out the cornerstones of nutrition and provides over 100 recipes for healthy food that doesn’t cost the earth – food that won’t have you stressing out over complex recipes and ingredients. This book brings healthy wholefoods back to basics and is packed with simple, flavoursome recipes for all kinds of meals and snacks, from juices and smoothies to substantial breakfast and brunch dishes, soups, salads, breads, burgers, casseroles and all kinds of snacks and sweet treats that you can actually feel virtuous about enjoying! Having worked in wholefood and vegetarian cafés worldwide,Oliver returned home in 2001 to help run the family business, Select Stores Dalkey. he has transformed it into a dynamic health-food store, which now includes Fuel Food, a fresh wholefood kitchen and deli and the food he produces there is the inspiration for this book.
To purchase your copy of ‘Fuel Food Cookbook by Oliver McCabe visit www.mercierpress.ie.