Spinach Falafel Recipe with Coconut Harissa Sauce and Zingy Kale Salad from the Mindful Chef Cookbook
This spinach and chickpea falafel recipe is really easy to make and is served with a zingy kale, avocado and pomegranate salad and drizzled with apple cider vinegar, which can help detox the body.
– 240g drained chickpeas
– 100g spinach
– 2 tbsp chickpea flour
– Olive oil
– 80g kale
– ½ pomegranate
– 1 avocado
– 20g walnuts
– 1½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
– 15g creamed coconut
– 2 tbsp boiling water
– 1 tsp harissa paste
– Sea salt and black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
2. Put the chickpeas into a bowl and mash for 1–2 minutes with a potato masher or the back of a fork, until they are all crushed.
3. Place the spinach in a separate bowl. Pour over enough boiling water to cover and leave to wilt for 1 minute. Place the spinach in a sieve and drain of the excess water, then finely chop.
4. Add the spinach to the chickpeas. Add the chickpea flour, 1 teaspoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of water, season generously and mix well. Form the chickpea mixture into 12 balls, place them on a baking tray, and bake in the oven for 15–20 minutes, turning them halfway through.
5. Meanwhile, make the kale salad. Finely slice the kale (removing any tough stalks). Cut the pomegranate in half and remove the seeds. Peel and de-stone the avocado and cut it into small pieces. Roughly chop the walnuts. Put the kale into a bowl and mix in the apple cider vinegar and ½ tablespoon of oil. Add the pomegranate seeds, avocado and walnuts and season with salt and pepper.
6. Dissolve the creamed coconut in the boiling water and mix with the harissa paste.
7. Serve the falafels on plates and drizzle over the coconut harissa sauce. Serve alongside the zingy kale salad.
Myles Hopper and Giles Humphries, a nutritional coach and health food duo from Devon are the founders of Mindful Chef, the UK’s favourite healthy recipe box service. Each week they deliver delicious ingredients and recipes to thousands of households, including sporting stars Victoria Pendleton and Andy Murray. Here, in their first book, Myles and Giles share 70 delightful and easy-to-make dishes that are nutritionally proven to boost your health and wellness.
Mindful Chef: Eat, Well Live Better by Myles Hopper & Giles Humphries, is available to buy here, priced £13.60.