Enjoy a Tipple of Northern Ireland
Shake together cocktails at home with recipes from Northern Ireland’s artisan producers and talented mixologists
13th May 2020: To toast World Cocktail Day (13th May), Tourism Northern Ireland has collated a range of delicious cocktail recipes from talented local artisan producers and welcoming hospitality providers.
Held on the publication date of the first definition of a cocktail in 1806, the day celebrates cocktails from around the globe. Named Best Food Destination last year, Northern Ireland is home to fantastic food and drink producers including artisan spirits using flavoursome local ingredients.
Packed with fresh flavours and tasty ingredients, become the mixologist in your household with these easy to follow steps – start shaking, drink responsibly and give them a go:
- Belfast Artisan Distillery: Clover Club Cocktail
The precise craftsmanship and ingredients that go into every bottle of premium Belfast Artisan Distillery Gin is a tribute to Belfast artisans and makes this Clover Club recipe stand out even more. The Clover Club is a classic cocktail for gin lovers and a delightful raspberry flavoured drink to sip on any occasion. Our friends at Belfast Artisan Distillery also suggest adding a little twist to the classic recipe by using fresh lime juice.
50ml Belfast Artisan Distillery Gin
25ml raspberry syrup
25ml fresh lime juice (or lemon Juice)
25ml egg white
- Mix liquid ingredients together in a cocktail shaker or glass.
- Add ice and shake all together until you feel the ice forming on the glass or tin.
- Double strain into a martini glass and garnish with fresh raspberries.
- Bushmills Irish Whiskey: Honey Highball
Bushmills Irish Whiskey is made at the world’s oldest licenced working distillery in County Antrim, on the beautiful Causeway Coast. To bring the flavours of Bushmills to the comforts of your home, they have shared their recipe for their Honey Highball. This cocktail is the perfect mix of sugar and spice. The honey liqueur and triple sec compliment the sweet, warm vanilla notes of Bushmills Original, while the strong flavours of the ginger ale and lemon juice bring the crisp, spicy finish of the whiskey to the fore.
35ml of Bushmills Original
20ml fresh lemon juice
15ml honey liqueur
10ml triple sec
- Pour 35ml of Bushmills Original into a tall glass.
- Add 20ml fresh lemon juice, 15ml honey liqueur and 10ml triple sec.
- Shake together and strain over cubed ice.
- Top with ginger ale and garnish with lemon peel.
- Serve in a highball glass.
- Newforge House: Appletini Cocktail
Newforge House in County Armagh is a 5* Tourism NI rated guesthouse, best known for its tranquil surroundings, luxurious rooms and delicious local seasonal food. To bring a bit of their hospitality to your homes, they have shared one of the many delicious treats they offer guests. The Appletini cocktail is refreshing and perfect for enjoying in the garden. This cocktail also gives special recognition to one of Northern Ireland’s agricultural treasures – Armagh Bramley Apples. Newforge House recommend using local ingredients such as AJ’s Apple Juice, made by pressing the finest of County Armagh apples.
1 measure Symphonia No.2 Apple Gin
1 measure AJ’s Armagh Apple Juice (or any fresh cloudy apple juice)
½ measure apple brandy or brandy
½ measure sugar syrup
¼ measure freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Place a few ice cubes in a cocktail shaker or clean jam jar.
- Poor in all the ingredients, close the lid tightly and shake vigorously.
- Place one ice cube in a martini glass or champagne coupe.
- Strain the cocktail over the ice cube.
- The Boatyard Distillery: Espresso Martini
The Boatyard Distillery is an award winning farm-to-bottle distillery located on the banks of Lough Erne in County Fermanagh. The Irish wheat for Boatyard Distillery’s vodka is carefully selected from what they consider to be the best growers in Ireland. It is the perfect ingredient for the timeless cocktail – the Espresso Martini. With the help of Boatyard Distillery, master this luxurious and delicious cocktail at home.
35ml Boatyard Vodka
15ml coffee liqueur
10ml sugar syrup
- Add all ingredients into your cocktail shaker with ice and shake hard.
- Double strain into a coupe glass.
- Garnish with coffee beans (optional).
- Killowen Distillery: Old Fashioned
Killowen Distillery is located in the heart of the Mourne Mountains in County Down. The distillery blends together old traditions and the finest natural resources to produce world-class craft spirits. Enjoy Killowen Distillery’s Poitín, a substance of luxury created with skill and care, with their version of the classic Old Fashioned.
1 shot Killowen Poitín
1 sugar cube
3 dashes bitters
1 orange peel
- Place sugar in the bottom of the rocks glass.
- Add bitters and muddle together until combined.
- Add preferred amount of ice and pour over poitín.
- Stir until sugar is mostly dissolved.
- Hold a piece of orange peel between your thumb and forefinger and squeeze over the glass to release the oil.
- If you like, you can carefully use a match or lighter to flame the orange oils for a caramelised flavour.
- Garnish with the orange peel.
- Walled City Brewery: Little Red Bus
The Walled City Brewery, based in Ebrington Square, Derry-Londonderry, has created a gin inspired by adventure. Looking to Amelia Earhart – the first female to fly solo across the Atlantic, she embodies the spirit of Earhart Gin. Tomato juice was the only drink Earhart could palate during long flights at high altitudes on her ‘Little Red Bus’ – her pet name for her beloved Lockheed Vega 5B plane. So enjoy a refreshing pit-stop with The Walled City Brewery’s take on a classic Bloody Mary, which swaps vodka for Earhart Gin.
35ml Earhart Gin
10ml lemon juice
175ml tomato juice
Sprinkle of celery salt
Few dashes of Tabasco Sauce
3 drops Worcestershire sauce
- Add ice to a tall glass.
- Add all ingredients together and stir vigorously.
- Garnish with a celery stick and enjoy.
To explore much more in Northern Ireland, go to discovernorthernireland.com or follow Discover NI on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for more recipes and videos.