This easy french toast recipe is elevated with apples cooked down in a delectable caramel sauce. Cinnamon and caramel combined make this the perfect quick recipe to cook up for breakfast or a weekend brunch.
- 6 slices of thick-cut bread (brioche or thick white bread)
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, granulated sugar, and ground cinnamon.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture, making sure to coat both sides well.
- Add the bread slices to the hot pan and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- In a pot, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat. Add the diced apples and brown sugar, and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender and caramelised.
- Pour the heavy cream into the pot with the apples and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until the sauce has thickened and the apples are well coated.
- Serve the French Toast with the caramelised apples on top, and drizzle the remaining sauce over the toast.