What’s better than a sandwich filled with ooey gooey cheese and covered with béchamel? When it’s topped with a fried egg! This Croque Madame recipe is super simple to throw together and will elevate your midweek lunch or weekend brunch.
Makes 2 sandwiches
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 200ml milk
- 50g flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp grainy mustard
- 160g Gruyère cheese, grated
- 2 slices ham
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp butter
- To make the béchamel, melt 2 tbsp butter in a pot. Add the flour and whisk until combined and the raw flour smell has disappeared, about 2-3 mins.
- Add the milk in increments while whisking constantly so no lumps remain.
- Once thickened, turn off the heat, and add in the egg yolk, the mustard and half of the cheese. Mix until combined and set aside.
- Butter the bread, and place buttered side down on a baking sheet.
- On the non-buttered side, spread a tablespoon of the béchamel, then top with a slice of ham and some more cheese.
- Close the sandwiches and cook buttered side down on a pan set to medium heat, flipping till both sides are golden and the cheese is melted. You may need to cover your pan with a lad to allow the cheese to melt.
- Turn your oven onto the grill setting.
- Top the sandwiches with the rest of the béchamel and the rest of the cheese, and place in the oven under the grill for a few minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
- While the sandwich is in the oven, fry an egg in some butter. If you want to leave the egg out, this becomes a Croque Monsieur!
- Place on top of the sandwich, slice, and enjoy!
Croque Madame Recipe by TheTaste.ie