Duck & Orange Salad Recipe By Ciara’s Kitchen
This is a lovely light meal that will suit all tastes. A perfect light dinner that serves two as a main meal or 4 if it is accompanying something else. It is quick and easy too so makes a perfect summer mid-week meal. One for the entire family to enjoy.
- 2 slow cooked confit of Duck legs (I use Silver Hill)
- 250g asparagus
- 2 oranges
- 100g mix of watercress, spinach & rocket
- Small bunch of chives, sliced
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Juice of 1 orange
- Cook the duck as per pack instructions.
- Meanwhile make the dressing by mixing the ingredients together in a jam jar and shaking.
- Boil a pot of water for the asparagus. Cook the spears for 2 minutes with the lid off.
- Drain and run under a cold tap. Allow to dry off.
- Segment two of the oranges or peel and slice them thinly.
- Arrange your salad leaves on a platter.
- Arrange the asparagus on top.
- Remove the duck from the oven, remove the skin and shred the meat. Place the meat on top of the asparagus.
- Drizzle over the dressing and sprinkle with some chives.
Ciara’s Kitchen Cookery School in Delgany, Co Wicklow has had to change the way they operate in recent times. With social distancing restricting the reopening of Ciara’s Kitchen, Ciara has had to find a way to adapt and a new way to operate.
For the last 10 years Ciara has held cooking demonstrations a number of times per week from her kitchen, holding up to 15 people at a time who gather around her long kitchen island and watch as she prepares up to 8 dishes which they eat as they are ready. Its great craic and as much a social gathering as it is a cookery lesson.
After receiving lots of enquiries about giving her classes online she ‘bit the bullet’ and has been running them for almost a month now using the ‘zoom’ meeting room online platform which is proving very successful.
She demonstrates three dishes with the recipes sent in advance for people to cook along if they so wish. She also sends what equipment will be required and also what needs to be chopped and prepared beforehand. There is no pressure to cook along. Some people prefer to just watch and learn.
It is still very interactive with her husband Ronan managing the chatroom and then Ciara jumps on afterwards for a further Q&A.
There are plenty of these online cooking demos coming up:
Saturday 13th June 4pm – Thai
Saturday 20th June 4pm – BBQ
Wednesday 24th June 7pm – Quick Family Friendly Pasta Dishes
Saturday 27th June 4pm – Summer Entertaining
Wednesday 1st July 7pm – Family Dinners
Saturday 4th July 11am – Cook-a-Long for Parents & Kids (Healthy-ish!)
€20 per screen. For more information simply contact Ciara on 0863848148