Dark Chocolate Lamingtons Recipe by Darina Coffey
This is one of those handy recipes that results in something far more impressive than the amount of effort needed to pull it together. My dark chocolate lamingtons recipe just so happens to be low in ingredients (and you probably have them in the cupboard) but also dairy, gluten and refined sugar free, so far from the worst thing you could indulge in to get your chocolate fix.
– 200g soft dates
– 75g cacao powder
– 1/2 tsp espresso powder
– 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
– dash of vinegar
– 6 eggs
– 100g dark chocolate
– 1/2 tsp coconut oil
– 100g dessicated coconut
– 1 can full fat coconut milk, chilled in the fridge
1. Grease and line a loaf tin with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 180C.
2. In a nutribullet or blender, blend together the dates and eggs until smooth.
3. Pour the mix into a bowl and whisk in the cacao powder, espresso powder and bicarbonate of soda to form a smooth batter. Finally, whisk in the vinegar.
4. Pour the batter into the lined tin and bake for 15- 20 minutes until springy and set.
5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before cutting in to 8- 10 squares, cutting each in half.
6. Melt the chocolate in the microwave with the coconut oil.
7. Take the coconut milk out of the fridge and scoop the hardened cream off the top into a bowl, whisking to loosen.
8. Spread the cream in the middle of each square, then dip the square in the slightly cooled chocolate to coat.
9. Spread the dessicated coconut on a plate and roll the squares in it to coat.
10. Serve this virtuous treat with smugness!
Growing up with the name Darina, I was constantly asked if I could cook like my namesake. I am the only person to have contested both Masterchef and the Great Irish Bake Off and am passionate about discovering and creating delicious things – I can sometimes be caught in the act on TV3’s Six O’Clock Show or RTE Today. Working with TheTaste allows me to satisfy this craving and marries my food fascination with my love of writing and ranting. Follow me on my pursuit of deliciousness.