This buffalo chicken burger recipe is drizzled with buffalo sauce so the chicken doesn’t lose its crispiness. The chicken is marinated overnight, making this recipe great for a midweek dinner – just batter, fry, and it’s ready to eat! Topped with a homemade blue cheese mayo, this burger is absolutely delicious.
Makes 4 burgers
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 500ml buttermilk
- 250g flour
- 1 teaspoon corn flour
- 400ml sparkling water
- Buffalo sauce of your choice
- Lettuce, tomatoes, onions
- 4 brioche burger buns
Blue cheese mayo
- 50g blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons mayo
- Butterfly each chicken breast so that you have 8 pieces of chicken.
- In a shallow dish, pour the buttermilk over the chicken pieces and let them marinate in the fridge for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- When you’re ready to start frying, add half the flour in a bowl and the cornflour, then pour in the sparkling water, whisking until a smooth batter forms. If the batter is too thick, add more sparkling water until it is a pourable consistency.
- In a separate bowl, add the rest of the flour and season with salt. Mix and set aside.
- Heat a large pan or pot over medium-high heat and add some oil.
- Dip each chicken piece into the flour and coat both sides, then dip into the batter, letting any excess drip off. Carefully dip the fat end of the chicken into the oil and gently allow it to drop away from you.
- Fry the chicken for about 5-6 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the oil and place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil.
- Make the blue cheese mayo by simply mixing the blue cheese and mayo together until combined.
- To assemble the burgers, melt some butter in a pan and toast the brioche buns until golden. Spread the bottom bun with the blue cheese mayo, then add a chicken breast. Drizzle some buffalo sauce onto the chicken, then place the lettuce, tomato slices and onions on top. Top with the other half of the bun, and enjoy!
Crispy Buffalo Chicken Burger Recipe with Blue Cheese Mayo