Using cereal in baking can feel like child’s play, however, there is nothing childish about these cornflake Nutella brownies. Our thick signature brownie topped with syrupy, Nutella-coated cornflakes. If you have a sweet tooth, you’re going to love these!
100g (31⁄2oz) milk chocolate
160g (11⁄4 sticks) unsalted butter
160g (3⁄4 cup) caster sugar
65g (2⁄3 cup) cocoa powder
65g (1⁄2 cup) plain flour
150g (51⁄2oz) milk or dark chocolate chips
50g (31⁄2 tbsp) unsalted butter
125g (1⁄2 cup) golden syrup
25g (2 tbsp) light soft brown sugar
150g (2⁄3 cup) Nutella 120g (41⁄4oz) cornflakes
Mixer or electric hand whisk
23cm (9in) square tin or 20 x 30cm (8 x 12in) rectangular tin, lined
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan/350°F/Gas 4).
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in a bain-marie, or in short bursts in the microwave, stirring until combined.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a mixer (or in a mixing bowl using a hand-held electric whisk). Slowly add the melted chocolate mixture while still mixing on a low-speed setting. Sift in the cocoa powder and flour, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula before re- mixing.
- Fold in 120g (41⁄4oz) of the chocolate chips with a spatula and then spoon the batter into the lined tin. Spread the batter up to the edges of the tin and scatter the remaining chocolate chips over the top. Bake for 23 minutes.
- While the brownie is baking, melt together the butter, golden syrup and sugar, then add the Nutella. Measure the cornflakes into a large bowl and pour the liquid over the top. Use a spoon to mix everything together, ensuring all of the cornflakes are completely coated.
- Remove the brownie from the oven and spoon over the Nutella cornflake mix. Push the cornflakes up to the edges of the tin and evenly spread with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for a further 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely in the tin. Chill in the fridge for at least 6 hours before cutting into squares or triangles.
We recommend using bake-stable chocolate chips in the brownie batter so that they keep their shape during baking.