Coconut Rice Pudding Recipe with Sour Cherry and Orange Compote by Rory O’Connell
This Coconut Rice Pudding Recipe is is by Chef Rory O’Connell from Cook Well Eat Well.
I love this combination of flavours, which elevates the humble rice pudding to a higher plane. The compote is best cooked well in advance to allow the cherries to swell and soften and the juices to become syrupy and somewhat concentrated.
I usually cook the cherries the day before, but cooked first thing in the morning to serve that evening, they will also yield a good result. The pudding is best served warm with chilled softly whipped cream to accompany. The preparation time here is short, but do give the rice the suggested length of time to cook to a creamy consistency.
– 100g Arborio rice
– 50g desiccated coconut
– 50g caster sugar
– 10g butter
– 1.2 litres milk
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– Sour cherry and orange compote
– Chilled softly whipped cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Put the rice, coconut, sugar and butter into a 2 litre capacity pie dish. Bring the milk to the boil with the vanilla and pour it over the rice. Give everything a gentle stir.
3. Bake in the oven for 1½–2 hours and remove when just set. The skin on the pudding should be golden and the rice underneath should be cooked through and have soaked up the milk, but it should still be soft and creamy.
4. Serve the pudding warm with the cherry compote chilled or at room temperature and chilled softly whipped cream on the side.
Rory O’Connell is founder of The Ballymaloe Cookery School with his sister Darina Allen and one of its most-loved teachers. In Cook Well, Eat Well Rory O’Connell focuses on assembling delicious, seasonal, balanced menus, offering twenty three-course meals for elegant entertaining. The book features recipes from his popular TV show How to Cook Well, and many more.
Divided by season, Rory’s perfectly balanced meals cater for four to six people. With Rory’s friendly instructive manner, you will feel in the safest of hands.
To purchase Cook Well Eat Well, click HERE.