Coconut & Chocolate Macaroons Recipe by Madeleine Shaw
Coconut and chocolate are a match made in heaven. This coconut and chocolate macaroons recipe makes the perfect on-the-go snack and I love popping a few in my bag for that 4pm ‘tea and cake break’ with a twist.
– 400ml can coconut milk
– 2 tbsp coconut oil
– 3 tbsp honey
– ½ tsp ground cinnamon
– grated zest of 1 orange
– 200g desiccated coconut
– 4 tbsp ground almonds
– pinch of salt
– 90g cacao butter or coconut oil
– 60g raw cacao powder
– 60g honey or maple syrup
– pinch of sea salt (or Himalayan)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Open the can of coconut milk and scrape out 3 tablespoons of the cream on the top and place this in a pan on a low heat with the oil, honey, cinnamon and orange zest.
3. Stir this for a minute or so until the oil melts, then take it off the heat and add in the desiccated
coconut, ground almonds and a pinch of salt. Keep stirring for a few minutes, then leave it to cool for 5 minutes.
4. Grab a tablespoon of the mix, form it into a ball and set it on the baking tray. Repeat until you have 16 balls, then bake them in the oven for 10–12 minutes until golden. Take them out and let them cool and harden on the tray while you make the chocolate sauce.
5. Melt the cacao butter or coconut oil in a pan on a low heat and slowly sift in the cacao powder, then stir in the honey and salt until everything is combined.
6. Once the balls and chocolate have cooled spoon 1 tablespoon of chocolate over each coconut macaroon. Place the balls in the fridge to cool so that the chocolate hardens.
7. These will keep for 4 days in the fridge.
Ready, Steady, Glow is a book of two halves offering weekday recipes that can be made in less than 30 minutes, alongside sumptuous show-stopping meals perfect for the weekend. All recipes are wheat- and sugar-free, bursting with flavour and nutritional value, and contain natural ingredients that can be found in your local supermarket.
Recipes from Madeleine Shaw’s READY, STEADY, GLOW! Fast, Fresh Food Designed for Real Life, published by Orion in hardback & eBook, priced £20/£10.99.
Photography: Martin Poole, Ellis Parrinder