Coconut Chicken Curry Recipe by The Wonky Spatula with wine pairing
This curry is incredibly tasty and super simple to put together – throw away that take away menu and get into your kitchen! You won’t be disappointed!!
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Paleo
– 2 chicken legs
– 2 chicken breasts, diced
– 1 can of coconut milk
– 1 tbsp red curry paste
– 1 red chili, finely sliced
– 1 shallot, finely chopped
– 1 piece of lemongrass, cut in half
– 2-3 fresh Kaffir lime leaves
– 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
– 2 inch piece of galangal (or ginger), sliced
– handful of asparagus / green beans
– handful of assorted mushrooms
– handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
– juice of 1/2 lime
– 2 tbsp fish sauce
– 1 tbsp Agave nectar (or honey)
– 1 tbsp Coconut Aminos (or soy sauce)
– Coconut oil
Hold back some mushrooms, chili, coriander and a lime wedge to garnish
1. Heat a large wok with some coconut oil, brown the chicken and remove from the pan.
2. Add the curry paste and heat gently before adding the coconut milk. Bring to a gentle boil.
3. Add the Kaffir leaves, galangal and lemongrass.
4. Heat a small pan and sweat the shallots with the garlic and chili before adding to the wok.
5. Add the chicken and bring the mixture to the boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
6. Add the green beans and/or asparagus along with the coriander and cook for a further 5 minutes.
7. Stir in the mushrooms.
8. Add the lime juice, agave, fish sauce and coconut aminos.
9. Bring the mixture to the boil, then remove the lemongrass, lime leaves and galangal.
10. Garnish and serve!
Our recommended Wine Pairing for this Recipe
Insight Vineyard Gewurztraminer €16.99
Gewürztraminer 2013 €16.99
This wine has quite the perfumed nose, it is packed full with aromas of lychee, rose petal, mango, fresh herbs and a touch of fruit spice.
The palate is also quite alluring with with all the aromas of the nose skipping gently onto the palate with the addition of Turkish delight, orange zest & ginger. This wine although flavuorful is balanced and quite restrained for a gewürztraminer.
A super wine that will pair beautifully with this creamy coconut curry. This wine also has the body to match with the weight of the chicken.
Available from O’Brien’s Wines Nationwide or Online.
Food is my passion! I spend every spare minute I have experimenting in the kitchen! I am constantly coming up with clean alternatives to junk foods in order to promote healthy eating in a unique and exciting way. My recipes are gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo and occasionally vegan. I hope you enjoy this recipe and after having a look through my blog are inspired to try new things!