Christmas Star Cookies Recipe by Siúcra
Light up your Christmas and your cookie jar with these star shaped cookies.
Makes approx 30
– 115g Siúcra Caster Sugar
– Siúcra Rollout Icing Sugar
– Siúcra Icing sugar
– 100g butter, at room temperature
– 1 medium egg
– 2tsp vanilla extract
– 250g plain white flour
– Red icing colour
– Silver balls
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/ 170°C for fan oven / 375°F.
2. Beat the butter and Siúcra Caster Sugar together with an electric whisk until combined.
3. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat again.
4. Finally beat in the flour at a low speed to mix. Once mixed form into a ball of dough with your hands.
5. Put the ball of dough onto a work surface that you have dusted with flour.
6. Roll out the dough to approximately ½ cm thick.
7. Cut out shapes using star cookie cutters.
8. Lift carefully onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment.
9. Bake for 14-15 minutes until golden.
10. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the tray.
11. Break off some of the white Siúcra Rollout Icing Sugar and knead until it softens.
12. Dust your work surface with Siúcra Icing Sugar.
13. Roll the white icing out to a thin layer and cut out star shapes using the same cutter. Do this for half the biscuits.
14. Lift off the work surface carefully. Put a few tiny dots of water on the back and then stick onto your cookies.
15. For the other half of the biscuits tear off another piece of Siúcra Rollout Icing Sugar and colour it red. To colour the icing put a small amount of colour onto the white icing and knead it in until it is well combined. (You may want to wear gloves when doing this.) Add more colour if necessary.
16. Again dust your work surface with Siúcra Icing Sugar.
17. Roll the red icing out to a thin layer and cut out the rest of the star shapes.
18. Lift off the work surface carefully. Put a few tiny dots of water on the back and then stick onto your cookies.
19. Decorate if you wish with silver balls.