Although this Prune and Almond Chocolate Truffles Recipe is rich and sweet, it contains lots of good things. They look so fancy too with the dark chocolate coating. Don’t be tempted to eat too many though – they are scarily moreish!
– 87 calories per truffle
– 130g blanched almonds or hazelnuts
– 75g medjool or soft dates, pitted
– 125g soft pitted prunes
– 3 tbsp cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
– 1 tbsp runny honey
– 2 tbsp smooth almond butter or light olive oil
– 85g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa content, broken into squares
1. Preheat the oven to 200°/Fan 180°C/Gas 6.
2. Spread the almonds or hazelnuts on a baking tray and pop them in the oven for 8–10 minutes until golden.
3. Place the dates, prunes and 100g of the toasted nuts into a food processor and blitz them until finely chopped.
4. Add the cocoa powder, honey and almond butter or olive oil and process again until combined.
5. Roll the mixture into small bite-size balls slightly smaller than a walnut. Place them on a tray lined with baking paper and pop them in the fridge to chill for 5 minutes while you melt the chocolate.
6. Melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water – don’t allow the bottom of the bowl to touch the water – or in the microwave in short bursts.
7. Finely chop the rest of the nuts.
8. Stick a cocktail stick into each ball, dip it in the melted chocolate and then place it on a wire rack. Sprinkle some of the truffles with the chopped nuts and dust the rest with sifted cocoa powder or leave them plain.
9. Leave the truffles to set for 15–20 minutes in the fridge before serving them.
P.S. Go on, have a go – these are way easier than you think and you’re totally going to love them!
TV Presenter Davina McCall’s new cookbook is filled with delicious and healthy family recipes that help you balance blood sugar, lose weight and feel fantastic. Following on from the huge success of Davina’s 5 Weeks to Sugar-Free and Davina’s Smart Carbs, Davina McCall is back with a brand new cookbook to help you kick the sugar habit and cut out junk food for good. Lavishly illustrated throughout, Davina’s Sugar-Free in a Hurry is full of healthy, delicious and – best of all – quick recipes. A strong advocate for a healthy lifestyle she has a successful range of fitness DVDs and raised millions through her Sport Relief challenge in 2013.
DAVINA’S SUGAR-FREE IN A HURRY by Davina McCall is published by Orion Books as a trade paperback and eBook, priced £16.99/£8.99.