Chocolate and Vanilla Drizzle Cake Recipe from M&S
Adorned with chocolate Easter eggs this Chocolate and Vanilla Drizzle Cake is the perfect showstopper to bring to the table on Easter Sunday – though this chocolate drizzle cake recipe is a crowd pleaser at anytime of the year.
– 200g 70% cocoa solids dark chocolate
– 175g butter
– 3 large eggs
– 100ml milk
– 2 tbsp espresso, or strong instant coffee
– 175g caster sugar
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 200g self-raising flour
– 500g unsalted butter
– 750g icing sugar
– 3 tsp vanilla essence
– 100g 70% cocoa solids dark chocolate
– 250ml double cream
– 2 tsp golden syrup
– Chocolate eggs
1. Finely chop the 70% cocoa solids dark chocolate.
2. Sift the icing sugar.
3. Finely chop the 70% cocoa solids dark chocolate.
1. Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
2. Grease and line 3 x 18cm sandwich tins. Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30-second bursts. Set aside.
3. Put the remaining cake ingredients into a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until creamy.
4. Add the melted chocolate and beat until combined.
5. Divide the mixture evenly among the tins.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cakes.
7. Allow the cakes to cool, remove from the tins and wrap in clingfilm.
8. Freeze for 1 hour so they firm up (or freeze until needed, then thaw slightly if making in advance).
9. Meanwhile, make the buttercream.
10. Beat the butter with an electric mixer until fluffy.
11. Add the icing sugar a bit at a time until combined.
12. Add the vanilla essence and a pinch of salt; mix well.
13. When the cakes are firm, slice each in half horizontally to create 6 layers.
14. Spread the first cake with buttercream.
15. Top with another layer of cake and buttercream, and repeat until all 6 layers are stacked.
16. Spread a thin coat of buttercream over the top and sides of the cake.
17. Put in the fridge to chill for 1 hour before spreading the cake with a thick layer of buttercream.
18. Place back in the fridge while you make the chocolate drizzle.
19. To make the drizzle, put the chocolate in a bowl.
20. Heat the cream until just steaming, but not bubbling, then pour it over the chocolate.
21. Leave for 5-10 minutes, add the golden syrup and stir until smooth.
22. Transfer to a jug.
23. Pour the chocolate mixture onto the centre of the cake.
24. Spread it to the edges of the cake using a spatula, and encourage it to drip down the sides.
25. Return the cake to the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up the topping.
26. Decorate the top with chocolate eggs and cut into thin slices to serve.
All ingredients are available from Marks & Spencer.
Marks & Spencer offers an extensive range of food and wine. There are 17 stores in the Republic of Ireland. To find your nearest store visit www.marksandspencer.ie