Chilled Melon and Almond Soup Recipe by Tasty Mediterraneo
This savoury melon & almond soup recipe is rich in B Vitamins and also vitamin K, potassium, magnesium and fibre. Melon soup is a classic summer meal in Spain because there is no need to cook it, you just have to blend its raw ingredients! And it is ready in only 15 minutes! This soup is dairy free, gluten free and vegan.
– 1 medium size galia or cantaloupe melon, peeled and seeded
– 80g ground almonds
– 125ml almond milk
– 1 garlic clove, peeled and thinly chopped
– 1 tsp sea salt (or salt to taste)
– Freshly ground black pepper
– Extra virgin olive oil
– Fresh mint leaves
– 3 tsp chopped almonds
– 1 tsp hot Spanish paprika (ideally Pimentón de la Vera)
– 4 wood skewers
1. Have all the ingredients prepared as indicated in the ingredients description.
2. For the melon skewers: With the help of a melon baller, sink it fully into the melon flesh, rotate the baller and make 12 melon balls. Place a melon ball and a fresh mint leave alternately onto skewers placing 3 balls of melon on each skewer. Mix the hot Spanish paprika and the chopped almonds in a mortar and pestle until it is all well combined. Sprinkle a bit of the paprika-almond mix over the melon balls on each skewer.
3. For the soup: After having scooped the melon balls, with the help of a blender mix the rest of the melon, the ground almonds, the almond milk and the garlic until all is perfectly combined.
4. Serve the soup chilled and topped with a drizzle of EVOO, freshly grounded black pepper to taste and the melon skewers.
I am Margarita Ribot, the cook, photographer and blogger behind Tasty Mediterraneo, a vegetarian food blog where I share healthy, simple and affordable recipes from the Mediterranean cuisine. I grew up in Spain enjoying the healthy Mediterranean diet and lifestyle and I am passionate about healthy eating and cooking Mediterranean recipes.
With the hectic lives that we lead in today’s society, many people are far from having healthy eating and lifestyle habits. I believe that a balanced diet such as the Mediterranean diet is key to live healthy longer and to put you at a lower risk for chronic diseases.
With the hope of encouraging many of you to preparing healthy recipes at home I leave you with one of my favourite quotes:
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food” – Hippocrates.