Chicory Root Syrup Roasted Nuts Recipe by Erica Sheehan of Homespun
Roasted nuts are so good and we have found a way to make them taste even better! Coating them in a little Chicory Root Syrup gives them a lovely subtle sweetness which, when combined with some coarse salt, makes them even more irresistible. We love having a batch on hand for healthy snacking during the day if we feel peckish and they’re also a great addition to veggies or a salad!
- 600 g pecans mixed raw nuts of choice; we like a mix of pecans, walnuts, almonds and cashews
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp Chicory Root Syrup Homespun Chicory Root Syrup
- 2 tbsp olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 2 tsp coarse salt
- fresh thyme Serve with fresh thyme or rosemary if desired for an aromatic seasonal twist
- Preheat your oven to 160C (300F).
- Add nuts and seeds to a large bowl.
- Whisk together oil and Chicory Root Syrup.
- Pour over the nuts and seeds and mix well to coat.
- Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove, toss roast for 5 – 10 minutes more; until nicely browned!
- Leave to cool on the tray for at least 10 minutes. Some of the nuts will clump together as they cool. They easily break apart or you can let yummy nut clusters form.
- Store at room temperature in a sealed container for up to two weeks.
Eating healthy can be hard, just last week the government advised us to reduce our portion sizes and sugary treats. That’s why Erica Sheehan, Founder of Homespun, is excited to introduce the honey alternative to her range of wholefoods.
But what is Chicory Root Syrup?It’s a delicate low sugar syrup gently extracted from fresh chicory roots and brings natural plant-based sweetness to your favourite foods and drinks without causing spikes in blood sugars. Plus, it’s high in gut healthy prebiotic fibre. Homespun Chicory Root Syrup will be your low sugar alternative for cooking, baking or in cold or hot drinks – add it to your autumn hot chocolate.
Erica says: “Since I discovered Chicory Root Syrup, I’ve enjoyed using whilst preparing so many family meals. You can use it in cooking and home baking, drizzled on porridge and pancakes and in drinks and dressings. It’s got a lovely delicate sweet taste with a fraction of the sugars found in other syrups. ”
Homespun Chicory Root Syrup at a glance:
- Up to 70% less sugar than honey, maple and agave
- High in prebiotic fibre
- Low glycaemic index – scientifically proven to keep blood sugars low*
- Plant-based and vegan friendly
- Light and delicate sweet taste
- Ideally suited to anyone monitoring sugar intake including diabetics