Chickpea Dahl Recipe from The Food DNA
This soul-warming Dahl recipe is a powerhouse of nutrition. It is a protein rich vegetarian meal that you can cook in less than 30 mins.
You can also make a large batch, freeze it and have for lunch or dinner throughout the week.
Serves about 4 portions
– 2 garlic cloves
– 2 shallots
– Fresh ginger – finely chopped
– ½ tsp of (smoked) paprika
– ½ tsp curry powder
– ½ tsp turmeric
– 1 tsp of ground coriander
– 1 tsp of cumin
– Salt and pepper
– Juice of ½ lime
– 1 knob of butter, olive oil
– Chilli flakes – to taste!
– Tin of chickpeas
– 100g amaranth
– 5-6 mini baby peppers/ 2-3 regular peppers
– Pack of tomato passata
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Half avocado
– Pumpkin seeds, nigella seeds (optional)
1. Heat olive oil in a pan, fry shallots until golden.
2. Add finely chopped fresh ginger, garlic, spices, salt, pepper, knob of butter and mix together for 1-2 minutes on medium heat.
3. Rinse chickpeas and add to the pan.
4. Mix in tomato passata and add more salt & pepper if needed.
5. Add cooked amaranth, peppers, add some water (if needed) until dahl is desired consistency.
6. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for another 10 minutes on low heat.
7. Squeeze lime juice, stir well.
8. Serve with avocado, sprinkle with pumpkin and nigella seeds. Bon Appétit!
With background in clinical nutrition and pharmaceutical sciences Jelena is a self-proclaimed foodie. She combines love and passion for cooking with unique skill of being able to create dishes that taste great and are of a high nutritional value, making sure you eat the best when you do.
Her kitchen is the food lab full of soul and passion where she happily spends hours experimenting. Her recipe collection is like a treasure chest that has something for each and every one.