Chicken with Walnuts Tapas Recipe by JP McMahon
This chicken tapas recipe from Michelin starred chef JP McMahon of Aniar is a delicious way to get maximum flavour in a chicken breast dish. Paired with walnuts, chicory and silky carrot puree, this chicken tapas recipe will wow friends and family.
– 4 chicken breasts, skin on, inner fillet removed
– 100g butter
– 4 baby chicory, halved you can use a large one either
– 50g walnuts, slightly crushed
– olive oil
– sea salt
– 45g walnuts
– 5g sugar
– 1g sea salt
– 5 large heirloom carrots (white or light yellow)
– 100g butter
– 100ml cream
– sea salt
1. For the Walnut Powder: Dry roast the walnuts in a 180°C oven until hard and crunchy. Allow to cool. Blend in a food processor with the sugar and the salt. Spread the powder onto a baking tray and place in the oven until a crumb texture is achieved.
2. For the Carrot Puree: Peel the carrots and cut them into rounds. Place them in a pot, add the butter and cover them with water. Bring to the boil and then simmer until soft. Sieve. Return to the pot with the cream. When warm, transfer into a food processor and blend until smooth. Season to taste.
3. For the Chicken: Warm some olive oil in a pan. Season the chicken with some sea salt. When the oil in hot, place the chicken skin side down in the pan. Fry until the skin is crispy. Turn the chicken over and fry for another 2 to 3 minutes. Place the chicken in the frying pan in a 180°C oven for 10 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven and place the pan back on the stove. Add the butter and baste the four fillets. Allow the butter to become brown and nutty. When you are happy with the colour of the chicken remove from the pan and place on some kitchen paper. Rest in a warm area for 5 minutes.
4. In a separate pan, grill the chicory face down in some olive oil until charred & crispy.
5. To Serve: Spoon the purée on to four plates. Spread over the plate with the back of a small spatula or spoon. Place two pieces of chicory on each plate. Carve the chicken into two or three pieces and arrange around the chicory. Finally, sprinkle with fresh walnuts and some walnut powder.
JP McMahon is a chef, restaurateur and author. He is culinary director of the EatGalway Restaurant Group, which comprises of Michelin-starred Aniar Restaurant, award-winning Spanish restaurant Cava Bodega, and Eat Gastropub – which has inspired his next cookbook Gastropub Revolution. He also runs the Aniar Boutique Cookery School.
JP is the founder and plays host to one of the biggest and most talked about international food events in Europe, Food On The Edge. The inaugural event took place in Galway in October 2015 with 2016 already causing stir. The event features the best international chefs from across the globe.Director, founding and current chair of the Galway Food Festival, JP is an ambassador for Irish food and a network leader for the global Cook it Raw project. He is also the ambassador for Spanish food in Ireland in particular promoting the wines of Rías Baixas (Galicia) and Jerez.
Recipe taken from Cava Bodega Tapas: A Taste of Spain in Ireland by JP McMahon, available to purchase at RRP €25 from www.cavarestaurant.ie/pages/cookbook.html.
For more information on the EatGalway Restaurant Group visit www.eatgalway.ie.