Feel free to use your favourite grain and salad vegetables in this vibrant Chicken Salad Bowl, perfect for a healthy lunch.
– 4 chicken breasts
– 4 eggs
– 100g farro (or quinoa, barley or brown rice) 1⁄2 cucumber, deseeded and thinly sliced
– 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
– 2 roasted red peppers, sliced
– 2 heads baby gem lettuce, roughly torn
– 1 small red onion, very finely sliced
– 4 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
– 2 tbsp. rapeseed or olive oil
– 1 tsp. ground cumin
– 1⁄2 tsp. cayenne pepper
– 400g tin of chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
– Handful of parsley leaves, finely chopped
– Handful of mint leaves, finely chopped
– 3 tbsp. olive oil
– 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
– 1 tsp. honey
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. To make the marinade, mix together the oil, cumin and cayenne pepper in a medium sized bowl. Place the chickpeas in another bowl, then stir through half the spice mixture. Add the chicken breasts into the bowl with the remaining spice mixture and mix to combine.
2. Cook the farro as per packet instructions.
3. To cook the chickpeas, heat a large frying pan over a medium heat and add in the chickpeas. Cook, shaking occasionally, until golden brown and crisp. This will take 6-8 minutes. Transfer to paper towels and season with a little salt.
4. To cook the chicken, add a little oil to the pan and cook the chicken breasts for 4-5 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
5. To cook the eggs, place the eggs in a saucepan of cold water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to simmer. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and run under cold water to stop the cooking process. The yolks will be soft at this stage. If you prefer your eggs more cooked, allow to cook for 7 minutes.
6. To make the dressing, combine all the dressing ingredients. Mix until smooth. Taste and season. You can adjust the amount of olive oil if you want a more liquid dressing.
7. To assemble the bowls, toss the farro with half the dressing in a large bowl. Then divide it between four serving bowls.
8. Slice the cooked chicken then arrange it on top of the grain in the serving bowls along with the cucumber, avocados, red peppers and lettuce.
9. Half the eggs and add them to the bowls along with chickpeas, red onion, and sesame seeds. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the assembled salads and serve immediately.