Blondies are one of Finch Bakery’s bestsellers, and their Cherry Bakewell ones are a favourite. Fudgy pieces of white chocolate and almond, swirled with cherry jam and filled with glacé cherries; every bite is a Bakewell lover’s dream! Here is Finch Bakery’s Cherry Bakewell Blondies recipe.
- 220g (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 125g (4 1⁄2oz) white chocolate
- 3 eggs
- 125g (2⁄3 cup) caster sugar
- 125g (1⁄2 cup plus 2 tbsp) light soft brown sugar
- 40g (2 tbsp) golden syrup
- Pink gel food colouring (optional)
- 5–10 drops of almond extract, to taste
- 285g (2 cups plus 2 tbsp) plain flour
- 1 heaped tsp cornflour
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 200g (7oz) white chocolate chips
- 150g (5 1⁄2oz) glacé cherries
- 180g (6oz) cherry jam or conserve
- Mixer or hand-held electric whisk
- 20 x 30cm (8 x 12in) tin, lined
- Piping bag
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan/400°F/Gas 6).
- Using a microwave, or over a bain-marie, melt the butter and white chocolate together.
- Combine the eggs, both sugars, the golden syrup and a little pink food colouring, if using, in a mixer. Add the melted chocolate mixture. Scrape the mixture around the sides and bottom with a spatula before mixing again.
- Pour in the almond extract, to taste. Sift the flour and cornflour together and pour into the wet mixture. Add the salt and 150g (5 1⁄2oz) of the chocolate chips, mixing on a low speed setting and remembering to scrape down the sides with a spatula to make sure all the ingredients combine.
- Fold in 100g (3 1⁄2oz) of the glacé cherries with a spatula. Pour the batter into the lined tin and load a piping bag with the cherry jam. Snip off the tip of the piping bag and pipe lines of jam into the batter. Use a skewer to drag the jam in circles, making sure it is evenly spread. Scatter over the remaining white chocolate chips and press in the remaining cherries.
- Bake for 35 minutes. It may look under-baked and the middle should still wobble when it comes out of the oven. Leave to cool completely in the tin, then chill in the fridge for at least 6 hours or overnight before cutting into squares or rectangles to serve.
TOP TIP: Use bake-stable white chocolate chips in the blondie mixture to ensure they don’t melt while baking.
Cherry Bakewell Blondies Recipe from the Finch Bakery Cookbook