Charred Halibut Recipe by Chef Chad Byrne at The Brehon
This charred halibut recipe with greens and fresh tomato salad is the perfect dish for the summer months and was created by Chef Chad Byrne at The Brehon Hotel in Killarney.
– Mixed heirloom or vine tomatos
– 1 red onion, finely diced
– 1 lime zest, juiced
– 1 knob ginger, micro-planed
– 80ml extra-virgin olive oil
– 20ml rice wine vinegar
– 1 tsp. palm sugar
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
– Handful fresh parsley,fennel,sorrel leaves, lightly chopped
– Salt and pepper
– Pinch of sumac
– Charred greens
– 12 asparagus spears
– 12 Vine broad beans
– Charred greens rub: tsp. of toasted cumin, caraway seeds and 1 lemon zest, grinded in pestle with a drop of oil
– 4 x 8oz Halibut brushed with olive oil and seasoned with smoked salt after charring.
– Lemon wedge
1. Mix the red onion with the ginger, lime juice and zest overnight if possible. It will keep for up to a week. The onion will turn bright purple and give and amazing tang to any salad. I always have it as a staple to add to dishes that need a kick.
2. Dissolve the sugar into the warmed oil and leave to chill. Then add the vinegar.
3. It’s best to chop the tomatoes and leave them out at room temperature or in a warm place. Add seasoning and sumac and then leave it to stand for an hour.
4. Mix the herbs and dressing in just before the fish is cooked.
5. Get the chargrill hot and lower down heat once food has touched the char. If the char is not smoking hot on contact, the food will stick.
6. Place the halibut on and it should take 3 minutes each side for an 8oz halibut steak. Add the greens raw and cook for a minuite each side. Serve immediately and drizzle the greens with seeds and lemon for a wallop of flavour.
Currently the Executive Head Chef at Danú Restaurant in The Brehon, Killarney, Chef Chad Byrne has extensive experience working in renowned establishments such as the Michelin Star restaurant Ristorante Semplice in London, the five star Heritage Golf & Spa Resort in Killenard, The Killarney Park Hotel and The Clarence and Merrion Hotel in Dublin.
Chad was awarded Irish Gastro Chef of the Year in 2012 along with a Gold Medal from Chef Ireland 2012 and has also represented Ireland in the culinary Olympics in Errfurt Germany. Danú Restaurant holds 2 AA Rosettes and Chad runs the kitchen with the ethos of food, focus and fun.