Siúcra and Catherine Fulvio’s recipe for Prawn Dill and Watercress Finger Sandwiches are perfect for a high tea or a special event this summer season.
These tasty little sandwiches can also be enjoyed as a snack without the glam of an event!
Makes 18 finger sandwiches.
For the syrup topping
– ½ red Chilli, finely chopped
– 1 lime, juice and zest
– 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
– 1 tsp Siucra icing sugar
– ¼ tsp ground cumin
– 250g raw prawns, deveined and shelled
For the cucumber pickle
– 50ml white wine vinegar
– 50ml hot water
– 60g Siucra caster sugar
– 1 tsp salt
– 1 tsp peppercorns
– 4 juniper berries, slightly crushed
– 1 medium cucumber, sliced
– 2 tbsp chopped dill
– 4 tbsp mayonnaise
– 3 tbsp crème fraiche
To make up the sandwiches
– Handful of watercress
– 6 slices pan style white bread, buttered
– 6 slices granary bread, buttered
– Oil and 1 tbsp butter
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
– Dill and lemon zest, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
2. Line the base of a muffin tray with discs of parchment paper and brush the tin generously with melted butter.
To prepare the prawns
1. Heat a large frying pan with a little butter and oil, add the red Chilli, lime juice and zest, garlic as well as the icing sugar.
2. Add the prawns and the ground cumin and sauté for about 2 to 3 minutes until the prawns are pink and cooked. Leave to cool.
To make the pickle
1. Combine the vinegar, Siúcra Caster Sugar, salt, peppercorns, juniper berries into a small saucepan and heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Slice the cucumber place in a bowl, pour the pickle liquid over and leave for about 10 minutes, until the cucumber has softened, then drain well. Spoon syrup over the warm cakes.
To make up the sandwiches
1. Roughly chop the prawns, add them to a bowl with the dill, mayonnaise, crème fraiche and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2. Place 6 slices of bread on a board, divide the prawn mix in half, spread half on the bread slices, add the pickled cucumber and watercress on each slice and then spread the other half of the prawn mix on top.
3. Cover with the additional 6 bread slices. Cut off the edges and slice into 3 or 4 equal fingers depending on the size of the bread.
1. Arrange on a platter to serve. Garnish with lemon zest and dill.
Catherine Fulvio the award-winning cookbook author has developed a series of sweet and savoury mini recipes exclusively for Siúcra, to showcase the functionality and breadth of the product range as well as demonstrating how fun, quick and easy it is to make delicious dishes from scratch, regardless of ability.