Catalan Esqueixada Salted Cod Salad Recipe from Las Tapas de Lola
Esqueixada is a traditional Catalan dish, a salad of shredded salt cod, tomatoes, onion, peppers and a garnish of black olives. Finished with a drizzle of freshly made parsley olive oil this recipe has all the flavours of the Mediterranean in one dish!
– 450g salted cod, desalted and finely chopped
– 1 red pepper, finely chopped
– 1 green pepper, finely chopped
– ½ onion, finely sliced
– 2 tomatoes, chopped
– 100g black olives, finely chopped
– 100ml extra virgin olive oil
– 3 slices toasted bread
– 10ml sherry vinegar
– 5g salt for dressing
– 100ml extra virgin olive oil – how much for salad?
– 100ml extra virgin olive oil – how much for parsley oil?
– 100g flat parsley
1. To desalt the cod, soak in water for 24-48 hours (dependent on the size and quality of the cod). Change the water every 6-8 hours. Taste to check it is to your liking.
2. Mix all the ingredients for dressing.
3. Mix ¼ of the cod with the peppers, onion, tomatoes and dressing ingredients.
4. Place the mixture in a round or square mold (do individual small ones or one large one for the table); cover the top with the rest of the cod, and place a line of chopped black olives across the top for garnish.
5. Remove the mold.
6. Mix the 100ml oil and 100g flat parsley until fine and smooth.
7. Finish the dish with a sprinkle of the parsley oil on top and around the bottom of the salad on your dish.
8. Serve with finely sliced toasted bread.
Located in the heart of buzzing Wexford Street and Camden Street, Las Tapas de Lola offers sumptuous Spanish tapas, wines, beers and tasty sangria for every occasion. As an Irish-Spanish co-owned place, we’re passionate about our food and wine and even more passionate about having fun! We open each day at 5pm Monday through Sunday for tapas.
Check out our tapas menu for what’s on offer and call us on +353 1 4244100 to book a table. Visit www.lastapasdelola.com for more information.