The Home of Irish Rubgy Carton House Hosts a Celebration of the British and Irish Lions
When it comes to sport training centres the luxurious Carton House Hotel is truly a league of its own, making them the number one choice for international and national sports teams alike; chief among them the Irish Rugby Team.
To honour the resort’s long association with rugby, Carton House is hosting three month long celebration dedicated to The British and Irish Lions.
‘The History of The British & Irish Lions; A Touring Tradition’, will run from May through to July and visitors and guests are invited to take a journey from 1888 to the present day.
Here’s a sample of what you can expect:
– Take a trip down memory lane and read all about the history of The Lions from 1888 – kicking off with the beginning of the touring tradition in the 19th century
– Prop your feet up and catch re-runs of classic Lions matches through the years on the resort’s dedicated screens
– Grab a book and a browse the Lions library, home to various books about The Lions written over the years from player’s stories and history books to behind The Lions memoirs
– Can you name every player who has been honoured to wear The Lions jersey, all 805 of them? Visit Carton’s ‘Roll of Honour’ installation featuring player’s names and try your hand at guessing
– Ever wondered what a Lions match programme looked like in the mid 1900’s? Match programmes across the decades will be on view for visitors to read
– Vintage rugby posters, merchandise and player’s jerseys will be hanging in Carton House decorating the corridors walked through by rugby greats
As any rugby player or fan knows maintaining stamina is essential, and with this in mind the resort’s food and beverage menus will feature iconic dishes and tipples in honour of The Lions.
From The Kitchen bar bites to three course themed options in the award-winning Linden Tree restaurant, visitors can sample the best of Irish and UK cuisines, brought in especially by the resort’s chefs and mixologists for the celebration.
Tempting dishes include Irish Seafood Chowder, Welsh Rarebit & Eton Mess paired with home nation gins including Shortcross Gin, Brecon Special Reserve and Hendricks.
Adrian McLaughlin, General Manager at Carton House, says: “Given our long tradition as the home of Irish rugby, and our world class sporting facilities, we are proud to have housed some of the world’s rugby greats. In celebration of our support for The British & Irish Lions, we have created the ultimate Lions experience for visitors and guests to enjoy. History is a huge part of our heritage here at Carton House so it was only natural that we showcase the traditions that make The Lions so special.”
Of course rest and recover are just as important, so if you’re visiting the celebrations why not make a night of it?
From €119pps you can enjoy luxury overnight accommodation, a hearty breakfast, dinner in the award-winning Linden Tree restaurant, €10 resort credit per person, access to the resort’s leisure facilities and a chance to explore The Lions celebration at your own pace.
To enquire about your visit or to book visit www.cartonhouse.com or call 01 5052000.