Butter Poached Lobster Recipe with Cucumber & Mango by Chef Benjamin Patterson
This Butter Poached Lobster Recipe is served with pickled cucumber and mango, is a wonderful Summer dish to show off the main ingredient, lobster. Lobster is the star of the show here, and there no shells to be messing around with as you have already done the hard work! A real party piece to show off to your guests, enjoy.
– 1 live lobster
– 1 lemon
– 1 bay leaf
– 4 pepper corns
– 1 whole cucumber
– 1 tsp salt
– 60ml white wine vinegar
– 20g root ginger
– 50g sugar
– 1 mango
– 300g salted butter
– 100ml water
– Pea shoots to garnish
1. Bring a sauce pan of water to the boil, add bay leaf, peppercorns, bay leaf and lemon, drop your live lobster in for 1 min and refresh under cold water till cold,
2. Once cooled start by removing your lobster meat from the shell by cracking the claw and cutting the tail, trying to keep the tail and claw intaked
3. To make the mango puree peel the mango and place in a liquidizer and puree till smooth
4. To make the pickled cucumber, slice the cucumber lengthways, sprinkle with salt and let absorb for 10 mins, rinse then add white wine vinegar, sugar, root ginger, to the cucumber, leave overnight in a container depending on how powerful the flavour you would like
5. To poach the lobster, heat the water, Wisk in the butter till emulsified, add the lobster and poach at 98 degrees for 5 minutes. Start to assemble the dish with all the elements and enjoy the best of the sea has to offer.
I’m a chef who left the restaurant industry at 25 and fell into cooking for celebrities and high profile people, such as Kevin Spacey, Elle Macpherson, Davina McCall, David Walliams, and Elton John. I have cooked in fantastic places all over the World, including New York, Berlin and Sweden. I now want to pass on my knowledge of creative cooking to those who have a passion and love of great food with my recipe design company and through live demonstrations. For more inforamtion visit www.benjaminpattterson.ie.