Braised Featherblade of Irish Beef with Poached Gnocchi, Fresh Basil, Wild Mushrooms and Truffle Oil Recipe by Colin Greensmith from Pallas Foods
This Braised Featherblade recipe is a nod to traditional Italian braised beef recipes, using Irish Nature beef featherblade and fresh veal stock.
– 4 Irish Nature Beef Featherblades
– 100mls cooking Oil
– 4 shallots
– 2 cloves of garlic (Crushed)
– 1 stick of celery – Diced
– 1 carrot – Diced
– 500ml Red Cooking Wine
– 1 litre veal stock
– 100g potato gnocchi
– 100g Wild mushrooms
– 100g Butter
– 10mls Truffle Oil
– 10g Parmesan – Shaved
– Fresh basil chiffonade
1. Season the featherblade steaks with sea salt and fresh black pepper.
2. In a heavy bottomed pan, seal off the featherblade steaks in a little cooking oil, then transfer them to a casserole dish.
3. In the same pan, sweat off the shallots, garlic, carrot and celery. Add the red wine and veal stock and bring to the boil.
4. Pour the liquid over the steaks, cover with cling film and braise in the oven for 2 and a half hours. Once cooked, reduce the cooking liquid & reserve.
5. Poach the gnocchi in salted water until al dente, strain and toss in a little olive oil.
6. Sweat off the mushrooms in a little butter and add to the gnocchi, season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
7. To plate up, slice the featherblade steaks and place on one side of a plate with some of their reduced cooking liquid.
8. Place the gnocchi and mushrooms to the other side then add the basil chiffonade, grated parmesan and a drizzle of truffle oil and serve.
This recipe was brought to you by Pallas Foods recipe development chef Colin Greensmith. Pallas Foods is one of Ireland’s leading food distributors serving over 9,000 customers.
They have a portfolio of over 14,500 products and offer fresh, frozen, ambient and non-food products, in addition to an extensive wine list from their Private Vines Collection.
For more information log onto www.pallasfoods.com